Access points for small business?

forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for access points for a small business. Probably going to need about 4-6 access points. What do you guys use in your deployments? (I'd especially like to hear from the small business consultants)
The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I was a Geek Squad agent we used the consumer based AP (NetGear/LinkSys). The largest number I ever had to install was 4 (2 was the average) at a law firm in a HUGE, old Victorian house. These had very, very limited features but worked well and were cheap.
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for access points for a small business. Probably going to need about 4-6 access points. What do you guys use in your deployments? (I'd especially like to hear from the small business consultants)

Take a look at Rukus.. Offers central management and it was created for the SOHO market..

Ruckus Wireless
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    We use Merakis. They are expensive on the outset (a good single radio AP is $400, the good ones are $800) but they are literally plug and play. You configure everything through a web portal and then plug the Meraki's in and walk away. You get outstanding in depth reporting in the portal. You get multiple SSID, multiple forms of authentication, firewalling SSID networks, captive portals, walled gardens, I could go on.

I have a log in to one of my networks, PM me if you want me to give you a tour.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    IDK how small in terms of users you have, but we have 2 WAP's that are both just linksys WGRT54's...those feed about 20 wireless users for me.
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These look interesting: TRENDnet | Products | PoE Access Points | TEW-653AP

POE, multiple SSIDs with vlan tagging, etc. @ about $90 each...

I'm thinking about using a few of these for an non-profit client.
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    We use ruckus wireless. Great system and worth the investment, even if you don't get the controller.

We will have about 20 here to start pretty soon and the ordering more in batches of 10.
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    We went ahead and got the controller for it since we are a school district and will probably have close to 100 AP if not more.

I know were not a SOHO operation but thought I'd give my input.