Quick home lab comment / tip: Skeletek Rack

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
I know a lot of us have the Skeletek racks, and I ran across something tonight that I thought I'd pass along and potentially save some folks some money.

If you buy the extra cage nuts (the 32 pack that is one of the bestselling items), the price is 8.99. This is pretty reasonable, until you see the shipping--it was 12.95 for the lowest shipping option. Well, while I was checking ebay for something else, I happened to notice that Dantrak has a store on there, as well. Long story short, you can buy the same package of cage nuts for 9.99 and 3.25 shipping. I'm not sure why there is such a discrepancy between their own site and ebay, but I thought I'd pass it along. I figure if anyone saves 10 bucks or so on shipping, it was worth the time to pass it along.

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great find!

Every little bit helps when cables and modules start adding up.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    shipping is where the unscrupulous vendors on ebay get unseasoned buyers. I saw an iphone4 for sale the other day for $100...then i noticed shipping was $600.

Gotta be careful with that. Thats probably why they have a "price + shipping lowest" sort value.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    shipping is where the unscrupulous vendors on ebay get unseasoned buyers. I saw an iphone4 for sale the other day for $100...then i noticed shipping was $600.

Gotta be careful with that. Thats probably why they have a "price + shipping lowest" sort value.

Yeah, ebay can certainly bite you that way if you're not careful. In this case, however, the opposite is true. On the vendors' own site, they charge 4 times more for shipping (at least for small items) than they do on their ebay store.

I checked and this holds true for other small items such as the cable management rings. If you buy them from their ebay store, you'll save about 10 bucks in shipping. Anyway, it's not a big deal, but figured I let people know.
  • seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    The Skeletec doesn't come with cage nuts?
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I bought mine by Dantrak and I got 8 sets of cage nuts. I bought another set off eBay. I never knew their website had the shipping for so much more. I love my Skeletek Rack. The only thing i can somewhat complain about is that the chassis screws were the same at the picture. It was pretty much just bolts, nuts ,and washers. I didn't have a wrench that was the right size so my rack chassis will sway back and fourth if you push it forward. Other than that it is amazing.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205

People typically try and list items like this so overall Ebay fees/taxes are lower, claiming in the auction text that the "savings will be passed on to the buyer" or something of that sort.

I definitely do not condone this type of activity, and am almost certain that anyone found doing so would be in violation of some sort of Ebay buyer/seller terms.
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah dantraks weird like that. Their small items are cheapier and either have free shipping or cheaper shipping than on there site however the big stuff is more expensive.

Gota love skeletek though just ordered some more cage nuts, cables, and an extension since i filled up my 12u. Thought about upgrading to a 4 post but figgured id wait til i really needed one.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    seekrit wrote: »
    The Skeletec doesn't come with cage nuts?

I purchased a 12U a couple of months ago, came with plenty of cage nuts. I put 5 1U devices in @ 4 nuts a peice and still have plenty left over.

I also bought mine from their website, not through ebay.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I purchased a 12U a couple of months ago, came with plenty of cage nuts. I put 5 1U devices in @ 4 nuts a peice and still have plenty left over.

I also bought mine from their website, not through ebay.

The 20U I purchased comes with enough cage bolts to mount 10 devices, hence why I purchased more cage bolts. I purchased the rack through their website, but thankfully I saved 10-12 bucks in shipping by buying the extra cage bolts through their ebay store.

At this point, I'll have 13 items racked, so the extra bolts I bought will give me a little room to grow.