Network Hardware Refresh Policy

Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
The company that I work for is looking at creating & implementing a network hardware refresh policy as they do not have one currently. What types of guidelines are used in your policies when it comes to upgrading or replacing Cisco hardware on your networks? We talked about 3 or 5 years for switches, routers etc. and possibly end of life/end of support for other devices. Just looking for what other people use as a determining factor in this area. Any input would be helpful.
WIP:
ROUTE

Comments

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would say once you reach 75% to 80% bandwidth utilization on your smallest pipe.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I think you have the right idea...if equipment is coming up to eos/eol we generally start looking to replace it. Realistically though your company has to see it as a good investment and they have to have the money. And if it is end-of-support you probably wont see it around in any network that I look after.
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good thing about a refresh policy? LAB GEAR! WOOOT!
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    We swap based on EOL/EOS or when we purchase spares we get the latest piece of equipment so we have a 2911 spare but all of our sites currently have 2800 series routers. Our 3550's are going to not be supported anymore around June so we are going to be going through each site doing a complete swap upgrade to 2960's. Like Kelkin said, lots of lab equipment icon_cheers.gif
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My initial thought would be a) keep any extended service plans/TAC accounts/etc up to date for warranty and maintenance purposes b) keep the IOS up to date (especially on your external facing equipment). And keep documentation and backups of your configurations, etc - especially if you do IOS upgrades. Anything that is EOL'd or coming up for EOL consider replacing. Beyond that places I've been have had 5+ year old equipment running fine. As someone else said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS