Options

Comcast Business PRI Vs T1 CAS

EDREDR Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
New member looking for some advice. How much more reliable is T1 vs Cable in regards to VOIP? Several years ago it seemed VOIP over cable wasn't the way to go compared to the more reliable T1. Has this changed? Is call quality equal now? The monthly cost of a T1 CAS is more expensive than a Cable PRI. This seems unreasonable considering everything I have read indicates PRI is superior.

I can either go Comcast Business 24 PRI channels 22/5 speed or with T1 CAS.

I would appreciate any expert advice you might be able to provide.

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    With a T1 you will be getting an SLA with the provider whereas with Comcast business...I don't think you get one. If my T1 were to drop at 2am on a Saturday morning I'm going to want that SLA so I can get a truck rolled at 2am (I've done this) vs Comcast maybe rolling a truck sometime between 8am-12pm on Monday.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    EDR wrote: »
    New member looking for some advice. How much more reliable is T1 vs Cable in regards to VOIP? Several years ago it seemed VOIP over cable wasn't the way to go compared to the more reliable T1. Has this changed? Is call quality equal now? The monthly cost of a T1 CAS is more expensive than a Cable PRI. This seems unreasonable considering everything I have read indicates PRI is superior.

I can either go Comcast Business 24 PRI channels 22/5 speed or with T1 CAS.

I would appreciate any expert advice you might be able to provide.

I have networks that do it either way, and some that do a hybrid. T1 for phones and comcast for internet. I prefer VDSL (20 - 5) to cable, since they don't throttle I get better speed over DSL.

We have had really nothing but problems connecting our internal phone switch to comcast. We had to buy a new part for our Avaya IP office to handle the analog signals (they say its digital but its really analog signaling over a digital trunk or some bullcrap) and they really screwed up our phone number porting.

Since we have gotten all of that straightened out (it took a month!) we have not had trouble with our phone system. A little less stability, you work with techs who may or may not have a clue, and we are saving frickin $500 a month.