Price doubles for the CEHv7?!?

contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well, if you were trying to decide if you want to take the CEH v6 or v7 according to the EC-Council site the v7 will carry a $500 exam fee...

(from Security Training, CEH, Ethical Hacking, Penetration Testing, Certified Ethical Hacker, Certified Hacker, Information Security Training, Computer security Training, Information Security Certification)

Certification Fees

If you have attended training at any accredited training center, you are eligible to attempt the web based Prometric Prime exam. This exam is priced at USD 500.
If you have chosen self study, and are eligible for the exam as verified through the CEH Exam Eligibility Form submitted, you can take the test at any of the Authorized Prometric Testing Centers globally. This exam is priced at USD 500

There is also this item on the same page but I don't see the real difference other then using prometric prime with a proctor

Exam Fees
Discounted exam vouchers with prefix of 312-50v7 for Prime, APTC and VUE, all of which are worth USD 500 are available with training and courseware through an EC-Council Accredited Training Center.

Exams with prefix of 312-50v7 are priced at $750 U.S. when purchased separately from training and authorized courseware bundled.

Comments

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Wow, what was the price for the v6?

250. Let me be the first F this. There is no way I am paying $500 for CEH. I though it was only going up to $300? I was very lightly considering doing this test but now I have to do it before August (when V6 goes away) and honestly I have other things to do and I don't think its worth it. I have only seen CEH on one job in my STATE. Think about that for a minute. $250 dollars is a lot of money but I am use to paying that amount. $300 dollars is reasonable I guess. $500 for a test with questionable worth? Get the F outta here. What makes CEHv7 so special? Now that they have gotten their act together and decided we are going to double our price?

I don't care how "popular" they are, CEH isn't worth $500. That's 2 cisco NA level test or 4 pro levels (I think) or about 5-6 MS test. It isn't worth it. They are charging steak prices for a cheeseburger quality product.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At that price I would be looking at GPEN instead of CEH.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    At that price I would be looking at GPEN instead of CEH.

I would have to agree.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hahaha 500 and 750

i think i will stick to the ccnp security track. I still want to buy the CEHv7 self study material, i want to master the topics for personal educational benefits, but i could care less about the CEH , it will get lost in my cisco certs lol it might even get considered as a cisco cert like "Cisco Enhanced Hierarchy" or something like that LOLicon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that they are full of themselves and think that they are now similar to the CISSP or something. Pfft.

That being said, I do believe that the v7 is more rigorous, up to date, and actually has mitigation strategies included.

Anyhow, I am going to my bootcamp starting April 11, and I will be sitting the v6 exam... hopefully we will cover some v7 concepts though.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    powerfool wrote: »
    I think that they are full of themselves and think that they are now similar to the CISSP or something. Pfft.
    Well, they kinda are. Getting on the DoD's "favored certs list" gives a cert vendor more marketing clout to raise prices. A new model (v7) means a new price structure. Really expensive certs are priced to be paid for by business and organizations and not individuals. If a cert can command a high price that lends to its air of credibility too.

In the link in the first post, click on the Exam Info tab to see the pricing information.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Well, they kinda are. Getting on the DoD's "favored certs list" gives a cert vendor more marketing clout to raise prices. A new model (v7) means a new price structure. Really expensive certs are priced to be paid for by business and organizations and not individuals. If a cert can command a high price that lends to its air of credibility too.

In the link in the first post, click on the Exam Info tab to see the pricing information.

True story. If you are going the gov route your company will more than likely pay for it or reimburse you after you take the exam. The jump from $250 to $700 made me weep a little...in my mouth.
    True story. If you are going the gov route your company will more than likely pay for it or reimburse you after you take the exam. The jump from $250 to $700 made me weep a little...in my mouth.

True, if I took the exam my company would reimburse me if I took it. It just doesn't make any sense for me to do it right now.
    A new model (v7) means a new price structure. Really expensive certs are priced to be paid for by business and organizations and not individuals. If a cert can command a high price that lends to its air of credibility too.

I disagree totally. Updating your material to being current does not mean you should double your price. There would be blood in the streets in MS, Cisco or Comptia adopted this concept. Furthermore all they have done is alienate individuals who do not have a business sponsoring them. Basically it kills the self study crowd. 500+cost of books put that test at around 650-700. I won't even explore the possibility of getting CBTs...

Anyone can demand anything. I can ask for $1000 an hour, it doesn't mean I deserve 1000 an hour and it doesn't speak to anything but my pure greed. Ill in all it is pure greed plain and simple. I had issues with the marketing around this cert before. Get CEH and you will be l337 etc... But now they have gone and double the price? F that! Now many people (including myself) have two options, get CEHv6 or don't go after CEH at all. Honestly I don't know which one I am going to choose. I may do just to say I did it (and to keep up with R2S lol) but honestly I just don't know if I want $250 of mine going to a shady, haughty organization.
    I am telling you if MS did something like this, people would boycott but because it is CEH we are suppose to just bend over and take it? WTF? What gives them that right?
    Interesting, I guess you can buy a 10 pack of vouchers for EC-Council and it brings the price down to $250 per person. I can't imagine a company paying for that, but maybe the DoD might.
    Anyone can demand anything. I can ask for $1000 an hour, it doesn't mean I deserve 1000 an hour and it doesn't speak to anything but my pure greed.
    It's called "What the market will bear." EC-Council is betting that the certification market will bear its new pricing structure. If it doesn't then they'll have to lower it. All business are free to set their own prices and determine if people will pay it.That part of the beauty of Capitalism. You should try it, Comrade! icon_lol.gif
    It's called "What the market will bear." EC-Council is betting that the certification market will bear its new pricing structure. If it doesn't then they'll have to lower it. All business are free to set their own prices and determine if people will pay it.That part of the beauty of Capitalism. You should try it, Comrade! icon_lol.gif

Absolutely. But there are two markets: Self Study and Business (Enterprise). The Business market doesn't care about $500 (they spend that on neckties, wallets and a really fine dinner to wow a client). They can afford it easily. The Self Study market may not be able to do that with rising cost of living, wage freezes and other things. What EC is betting is that the they can make enough from the Business market to make up for the that they are going to lose out on a lot of the Self Study group. Which is fine and legal but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I really wanted to hear more about the CEHV7 and see if I could squeeze it in late this year or early next year but now that they are going to a $500 model, there is no way I am doing that. I think the net effect will be that there will be less CEH's overall which is fine for those folks who have the CEH, it makes you more 'valuable' which is a relative term because if there was one busted up Ford Pinto left on the planet that care would not all of a sudden be worth a billion dollars. It is still a POS now it is just endangered. At any rate I am just venting.
    You should be delighted that the raising in cost of the CEH now opens the door for another cert vendor to introduce an equivalent, "under $200" hacker certification for the poor, struggling hacker-masses that have not sold out to a corporation for a salaried job with paid training and certifications.

I give you the CompTIA Hacker+

Well, not really. But it could happen...
    You should be delighted that the raising in cost of the CEH now opens the door for another cert vendor to introduce an equivalent, "under $200" hacker certification for the poor, struggling hacker-masses that have not sold out to a corporation for a salaried job with paid training and certifications.

JD, you need to stop!!!! Please don't give CompTIA any ideas.... icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL:D:D

All jokes aside, maybe comptia should look into something like joining up with the backtrack guys and making offensive security+
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LOL:D:D

All jokes aside, maybe comptia should look into something like joining up with the backtrack guys and making offensive security+

I agree with this and think its a good idea.
  • xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    Backtrack offers their OSCP certification.
    Which is performanced based, so that shows alot of potential.
    Once I finish my Ethical Hacking/Defense course, I'm going to try and take the CEH, even if it does cost an arm/leg. Then looking further into OSCP.

I stil want to follow the cisco track (CCNP Security)... but I'll wait until my CCNA is closed to expire.

CISSP seems very desirable but, CEH is def for entry level professionals.

almost curious to which one holds more value, CEH or a GIAC cert/
    nerd power.