Project+ tomorrow

phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I finally get to sit for the Project+ (2009) test tomorrow and hopefully knock out the WGU TPV1 credits. I feel prepared and I am excited to have all of the CompTIA stuff I plan on sitting for finished.

I have read the Sybex book 3 times over the last two months and looked through the book from WGU. It was nice that while I was studying that I could think back to my past projects and say "I knew that" or finally see exactly how a sequence of events is supposed to unfold (according to CompTIA).

Anyway, this should be interesting.
Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I finally get to sit for the Project+ (2009) test tomorrow and hopefully knock out the WGU TPV1 credits. I feel prepared and I am excited to have all of the CompTIA stuff I plan on sitting for finished.

I have read the Sybex book 3 times over the last two months and looked through the book from WGU. It was nice that while I was studying that I could think back to my past projects and say "I knew that" or finally see exactly how a sequence of events is supposed to unfold (according to CompTIA).

Good luck!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You got this! Best of luck!! icon_thumright.gif
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□

Good luck! I'd love to see a lessons learned post after you take the exam.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I'd love to see a lessons learned post after you take the exam.

Thanks! I passed the project+ exam Friday afternoon. I ended up with a lucky number of 777.
    Next up is MS’s 680 and 685/686 for ABV1

As for lessons learned, I would say that I was familiar with the overall process for a project without knowing the exact names or steps to accomplish tasks. Also, coming from a technical background, my knowledge was especially focused on planning exact requirements (finding inhouse requirements, equipment research, RFP creation) and executing the requirements when the time came (build and roll out computer image, install computer/projector/sound/interactive board).
    So I guess that aside from knowing high level planning, RFPs/SOWs, and project execution everything was new to me, though not wasn’t completely foreign.

The most interesting and useful piece for me ended up being the Initiating and Planning information that is covered by the exam. For example, in past projects I tried to get everything in writing I could and be as specific as possible. But without knowing how to section off my piece of the larger project plan and implement a change control process (there were two projects that I really wish I could have had something like this for my piece). Wile studying, I sat down and created basic fill-in-the-blank forms for each document (charter, RFP, scope, etc.). I found that doing this helped me understand what each document was meant for. Also, because I made each one in order, I figured out what the proper sequence was for each during a project. The one thing two things I struggled with was the types of diagrams (what/where to use these) and the formulas. I had these as the last two items on my review list but I ended up with the flu and two dead servers at work (my main DC and my main file server).

All in all, I’m happy with the results.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP