Look for in a college

xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
Just curious to what everyone looks for in a College?

I have my Associates Degree in Network Technology, and looking to transfer from my Community College to another school.

I want to major in Information Assurance or Cyber Security.

I care about the value of the education, dont want a school with "fluff" and not enough applied experience.

Seems like most schools I could transfer to, are online courses anyway, since I would be a Junior.

some things that are my deciding factors

-Cost
-Degree Program
-Credits willing to accept
-Masters program vs Bachelor Program

what does everyone else look for?
nerd power.

Comments

• qwismqwism Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    where have you looked locally? i noticed you're in baltimore and i've spent most of my nights researching schools around that dc/va/md area and you have a few really good options if you're able to move/dorm.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Curious...what didn't you like about UMUC since it does have a Cybersecurity program?

I would imagine that you looked at it, since you're in MD. UMUC is one of the oldest (that I can tell) of the online schools that are B&M...along with U of IL-Springfield.

All I know is when I think of U-MD, I think of College Park (as I'm sure employers would as well). Never been to College Park (been to Towson though and also University of B-More during my meet online chick phase.....lmao).
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    xirtlook wrote: »
    I want to major in Information Assurance or Cyber Security.

I care about the value of the education, dont want a school with "fluff" and not enough applied experience.

-Cost
    -Degree Program

1) AFAIK your information assurance and cyber security wont be "majors". Your major will be "computer science", or "Information Systems"...those are the types of names you would expect to see on a major. Your focus track or minor might have something like "network security" or "web publishing" or "database development".

2) There will be fluff. Get used to it. Thats where colleges help create "well rounded students" by beefing up their business model to generate more cash income. By fluff, i assume you mean non-IT related courses. Just deal with it. Take advantage of those classes to meet your future girlfriends/wife, and more importantly, friends that can help land you jobs. Take every opportunity to network with ppl.

3) Cost is going to be high. Just saying. If you're not military or dont have someone to reimburse you, you'll be getting a loan. Just remember that it's worth it as long as you finish it. Also, dont be surprised if a college doesnt value your AS as much as you do, and they dont transfer all of your hours. They have no incentive to, in regards to making money for the school, and they usually want you to go through their 'weed out' course.

4) Forget the masters. By the time you finsish the BS, you'll be ready to work. If you still want to pursue the MS, then you can re-evaluate where you want to go for your schooling, because it's like starting all over. Doesnt need to be at the same school.

5) Online vs classroom - IMHO classroom. I find it hard to motivate myself for an online class. Plus you miss out on all the social networking opportunities - making friends, getting to know the prof, etc.

HTH
  • xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    hate to be the one that brings up an old topic but... well here we go LOL

as far as MAJOR in InfoAssurance...the school I was looking into and ultimately might go to does major in IA. Bachelors, Masters, and now PhD in it.

Information Assurance | Capitol College

NSA and NASA Goddard has affiliations with this school.

Another new/local school you guys might have heard of is, UMUC. University of Maryland University College. They have BS in "Cyber Security"... they renamed it from IA.

I agree though, that there is going to be fluff, and doubt these majors will focus specifically in one specialty.

I could do just as well with any BS in IT paired with a CISSP or highly valued certification.

still in the air where Im going to go since the job I just picked up might not pay for my tuition, esp if its in IA. They will however provide me training and cost expenses for certifications.

I have 130 credits, and CapitolCollege is willing to accept 61 out of the full 70 possible to transfer. So I might transfer and take one class semester...

I would much rather CLASSROOM courses, but since I'm working too... it makes things difficult.

I was told that the level of courses I would be taking, would be online anyways icon_sad.gif

so in fear of making this thread only about me, I would like to invite other young IT professionals and/or IT college students in on the conversation who are having the same struggles.

what are the degree options your local schools offer? are they majorably online? are you going for masters or just bachelors? do you work?
    nerd power.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    xirtlook wrote: »
    Just curious to what everyone looks for in a College?...

...some things that are my deciding factors

-Cost
    -Degree Program

For me it would be:

1. Cost
    2. Ensure that the Univeristy is legit (in the UK there is a list)
    3. Program
    4. Credits willing to accept (if applicable)
    5. The possibility of online/home study programs.

-Ken