Mail archiving solution

aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
Just curious on what people's thoughts were on the best product for email archiving. Currently running exchange 07/outlook 07 with intentions to move to 2010 on both in the next year.

Was looking at GFI mail archiver a little bit. Just curious what other people are using and thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments

• pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using mailarchiva - opensource. It does its job, hasn't let me down yet
    God deserves my best
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Use Exchange 2010 SP1.
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I think I'm going to go with the exchange 2010 sp1 option when I get 2010 installed. In the meantime I have to write some startup scripts to pull .pst files to a network drive. fun fun
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Friends don't let friends put PSTs on network drives:
    Network Stored PST files ... don't do it! - Ask the Performance Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

I agree that you should use the built-in archiving in 2010 SP1. If that doesn't have all the features you need then you can look at a third party product, but there is no point in paying for both if you don't need it.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Exchange does a pretty good job of archiving but you are limited to just email. If you need to hold on to other files and documents you might want to look elsewhere. I'd recommend Symantec Enterprise Vault.
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Claymoore, I agree but I fought an uphill battle with management and lost. The compromise was it's only temporary until I can archive with 2010.

I dont really need to archive anything other than email. For the most part the company uses sharepoint for document control.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For what it's worth I've ran a 200 user environment with all users having network PST's and rarely ran in to problems. This was over the course of 2 years. That being said, many users have reported issues with network PST's. Variables include how much I/O users create, server resources and network traffic, to name a few. I think it is fine as a very temporary solution.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    rsutton wrote: »
    For what it's worth I've ran a 200 user environment with all users having network PST's and rarely ran in to problems. This was over the course of 2 years. That being said, many users have reported issues with network PST's. Variables include how much I/O users create, server resources and network traffic, to name a few. I think it is fine as a very temporary solution.

Your lucky - its not the PST slowness its the hell that is caused when one busts.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your lucky - its not the PST slowness its the hell that is caused when one busts.

I won't disagree with that.