Options

SMI vs EMI

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,
What is big different between SMI and EMI in 3550 Cisco switch, and did SMI enough for CCIE Lab.

Comments

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    According to Cisco:

A. The following features and functionality are only supported with the EMI:
    • Advanced IP routing protocols for load balancing and constructing scalable LANs:
    – OSPF
    – IGRP and EIGRP
    – BGPv4
    • WCCP to allow switch interaction with a cache for the purpose of redirecting content requests to a cache and performing basic load balancing across multiple caches
    • PBR to allow specific policies to be implemented by causing selective traffic to take different paths
    • PIM for IP multicast routing within a network that enables the network to receive the multicast feed requested and for switches not participating in the multicast to be pruned; support for PIM sparse mode (PIM SX), PIM dense mode (PIM DX), and PIM sparse-dense mode
    • Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP) tunneling for interconnecting two multicast-enabled networks across non-multicast networks

The hardware is the same so an upgrade to EMI is possible if you have access to the software but doing so is illegal and up to your own moral :) You definately need EMI if studying for the IE.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Thanks, I will order for EMI.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    If the SMI is cheaper, I would say go for the SMI. You can always buy an SMI and upgrade the IOS to EMI. Did this 4 times :)

Hope this helps and good luck with your studies!
  • Options
    kurferkurfer Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have a Cisco SE rep at your place of employment? They are great resources for "upgrades" and free lab gear. :)

Usually studying for the CCIE is enough clout to get their attention.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    If the SMI is cheaper, I would say go for the SMI. You can always buy an SMI and upgrade the IOS to EMI. Did this 4 times :)

Hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

Your not the only 1
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related