Since the board doesnt seem to be on fire with new posts...

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
I thought i would take this opportunity to thank Johan and all of the people who have put their 2 cents worth in here.

I take the test in less than 2 weeks, and this board has helped me tremendously.

I have used the notes, tests, links, and advice to hopefully pass this exam

After this, it's on to the new Network+
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck icon_smile.gif

Security+ is tough but passable.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks for the thanks, and you're welcome :D

Good luck with the exam!
    Since the board doesnt seem to be on fire with new posts...
    Things are always a bit slow in the summer...
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    BEST OF LUCK. :D:D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Good luck, if you're doing net+ after this, it should be easier.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • PMan#8PMan#8 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another question I have to those of you who have already taken it and those of you studying for it:

Do you find it frustrating with all of the inconsistincies of the books out there?
    I have 5 books on security+ plus practive test and websites

Example: PKI, all the books i have show a different number of trust models and they call them different names. I was frustrated by not knowing which book to trust on these kind of things. So then I had to search the Internet for the truth (which I know you have to do), but it's terrible since you pay all of this money to be taught correctly; not guess

Another thing is flat out wrong stuff. Example: I have used for Sybex for a lot of studying but this 2nd edition is just $#%$. I mean it states that L2TP uses port 22 when SSH uses port 22. There are others, but I cant think of them at the moment. I am not sure I will ever use Sybex again after this

Sorry everyone for the rants and raves but it's getting down to crunch time and I am having nightmares on this. 86% is a lot

One more question an I promise to be done :D

How do you guys prepare for certs? What I did was this (and in hindsight, it seemed I wasted A LOT of valuable time doing it this way):

I gathered all of my information from each of my sources and compiled it into one study guide for each domain and then typed it out onto the computer for a nice looking printout so I could study more efficiently. This didnt work however since my typing is slow and sporadic icon_eek.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    PMan#8 wrote:
    Do you find it frustrating with all of the inconsistincies of the books out there?
    Frustrating enough to try and do it better myself... guess what, I make mistakes too. icon_wink.gif But you are right, it can be really frustrating. It's a amazing how some educators forget one of the most important aspects of an information system: the information needs to be reliable. There are many ways (words) to describe the same thing, and when you try to simplify relatively complex topics, it's hard to write something that is 100% correct (because there are often exceptions, or different ways of interpreting the same words) let alone something that is consistant with other material. In CompTIA exams, you won't be asked about the exceptions, but the general and most common situations/answers.
    Another thing is flat out wrong stuff. Example: I have used for Sybex for a lot of studying but this 2nd edition is just $#%$. I mean it states that L2TP uses port 22 when SSH uses port 22. There are others, but I cant think of them at the moment. I am not sure I will ever use Sybex again after this
    I hope you are using the 2nd edition of the Sybex Security+ book, the first one is truly terrible, which is un-Sybex... Are you really using the second edition? I can hardly believe they didn't fix that. I received a review copy from Sybex (1st edition) and pointed out that error long before the 2nd edition came out. It's even on the errata:
    www.sybex.com/erratatracking.nsf/weberrataform?OpenForm&ISBN=4098
    As you mentioned, there are others, and plenty of info that is at best 'not entirely correct'.

At least the CompTIA Security+ exam is consistent with the books in a way that it's not of a quality you would expect considering the cost and topic icon_rolleyes.gif
  • PMan#8PMan#8 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am using the Sybex 2nd Edition. The error is on page 120. I am so ticked (but I would the book would've caused me to mark something like that incorrectly)

Little things like that can make or break you on this test it seems. I think I know my stuff (I do pretty well on your tests and the exam cram practice test book).

But I am trying to learn the stuff inside and out (not cramming enough to get by). Because what good is my cert if I go into a job and dont remeber jack?

I am just mainly worried that I will overlook something and a few questions will squeek by and I fail. I am really not good at taking tests because I freak out even though I know I know the answer.

Again, many thanks for building a website such as this for people who want to KNOW the material, not just pass. On that note, I have tons of flashcard questions, study guides, etc. that will really be no use to me once I pass the test that I wrote myself if you would like it for the website. They are not as good as yours, but it's just a thought in case you need them
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck Breadfan - hope you nail it good.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • jd_mattosjd_mattos Member Posts: 134
    Good Luck!
    I am going to sit the Sec+ next month.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The errors you pointed out in the Sybex 2nd edition is a prime example of why one should never use one source for preperation for these test. Sounds like you're on the right track. To add to what you're already doing, make sure that you get practice if at all possible. For example, go into the tcp/ip properties of your network card, go into the advanced section, then click on options. In here play around with the tcp/ip filters. Experiment with permitting only certain traffic and and only using certain ports. For example, dis-allow ports 53 and 389 and see if you can still log on to your domain (considering you have one). 389 is LDAP and 53 is DNS. I have students do exercises like this all the time, and it's amazing how far doing this can go in helping them remember what port is used for what. Apply the same principle to as many security+ topics as possible, and you will find the test challenging, but not overwhelming.

Not only is this a good way to remember stuff, it makes it a lot more fun.

Good luck
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hadnt thought of doing that, but I will try it.

I have a home lab set up as well as a nice WLAN (for my roaming wife) and I set up filters inside the wireless router and inside of zone alarm. Amazing what you can do down to that level.

Practice does make perfect. The theory parts put me to sleep and the way I learn is to "break it" and then figure out how to "fix it". Stupid way my brain works. If I know how it ticks, I know how it can be fixed.

I think I am 98% ready to take the exam next week, but may wait a week or two to make sure. I wouldn't be so worried if it had a pass rate like the A+ or Net+, but with the way CompTia sometimes writes screwy questions, I want to make sure

Hopefully I wont sound too much like a broken record here on the forum, but I dont know anyone where I live or work with that is taking or has taken this exam, so I am just trying to get as much "insight" as possible.
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Break/fix is the male way Breadfan - I did have a professor explain why to me one day, but man that just put me to sleep icon_lol.gif

I kind of like the old saying ... "practice makes perfect" - However, myself I would be happy just to be adequate icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007