Jncis-sp

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
Has anyone taken or plan on taking the new JNCIS-SP? I'd like to start studying for this exam but I'm not sure what materials would be best. I'm assuming the old free JNCIS-M book would probably be a good start, but it doesn't cover the switching aspect.

Any suggestions appreciated.
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Comments

• AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I haven't taken the JNCIS-SP but hopefully I can give some direction.

From the certification website it gives the recommended study courses of: Junos Intermediate Routing, Junos Service Provider Switching, and Junos MPLS and VPNs.

I believe that Junos Intermediate Routing covers stuff that can be found in the old sybex books, such as BGP, OSPF, and ISIS. Junos MPLS and VPNS should also be covered quiet well in the old sybex books, although there isn't any coverage of VPLS. And Junos Service Provider Switching isn't at all covered in the old sybex books.

Without a doubt there will be some new coverage of new/uncovered features that were not included in the old sybex books, but they'll still be a great resource.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I'm studying for the JNCIS:SP at the moment.

Making use of the courseware available here - Welcome

Also the Juniper technical publications.... when the exam comes around in a month or so I'll probably do some revision with my notes I'll take and also the older JNCIS-M publications.

Let me know if you come up with anything else worthwhile..... I too have had some issues sourcing relevant and legitimate study resources.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a new class coming out... Advanced Service Provider something something.

The Service Provider Switching class was kind of disappointing. No coverage at all of VLAN tag stacking or VPLS. What a shame! The MX excels at those things... for the most part. Except for the half-assed "VPLS port in a virtual-switch instance" feature.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
    Advanced Juniper Service Provider Routing... I believe....

ccie15672.... as far as I'm aware....VPLS is covered in the new Juniper course MPLS and VPNs

• ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VPLS is big enough to have its own class.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I am planning to go for this exam if I pass the JNCIA on Wednesday. I've checked the exam topics and I think that the old JNCIS Study Guide plus Junos Enterprise Switching are covering most of the topics and should be enough. I've also checked the sample test on Juniper's website and it looks fairly easy but who knows...
    Non-native English speaker
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    VPLS is big enough to have its own class.

Ain't that the truth...! :)

Sitting this tomorrow :)

Used Juniper study materials below

- Junos Intermediate Routing courseware
    - Junos Service Provider Switching courseware
    - Old JNCIS-M Sybex study guide

Feeling very confident, time will tell tomorrow........ for now back to my revision......

Full update post exam tomorrow!

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, i'll be interested to know how it goes.

Can you let me know how the materials map to the exam.

Does anyone know if they will be releasing material via the fast track portal for this?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Well it went well.... aced it!

Materials mapped pretty well to the exam objectives, if you read the recommended guides on the j-education site then you can't go wrong.

If you supplement it with the old JNCIS-M sybex pdf then even better!

When I have a moment I'll type up a recommended reading list and other associated details for the JNCIS:SP..... as it seems like the Juniper forums on tech exams could do with a little more information!

Now back to CCIE studies, while I wait for the JNCIP-SP to be released.... :)

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Congrats on that, just checking out the SP exam objectives and there seems to be a lot of crossover from the ENT and the SP. Would you say that is the case? Obviously without breaking NDA, but as someone who has taken the ENT, did you find a lot of duplication between the two?
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! I have the JIR course coming up in May. Hopefully I can get to the switching course or at least get my hands on the material for it also.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!

i'll also be interested to hear your response for stu's question between the x-over as it could be a natural step for me.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Congrats!

I'd love to hear about the crossover between the two exams as well.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Nice job and congrats on the pass. icon_cheers.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender