Options

70-662 questions

I'm going through the MS 70-662 training kit and finding the majority of the questions to be tailored to EMS commands.

I have extensive experience in Exchange, including multiple new installations of 2007 and transitions from 03 to 07 for hundreds of mailboxes. I have rarely needed EMS, is this what I can expect on the test?

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    While the 662 Exchange 2010 may not be a powershell syntax test like the 236 Exchange 2007 exam, you will need to know the EMS cmdlets to pass the exam. Especially now that Exchange 2010 service packs seem to be removing functionality from the EMC, unlike the Exchange 2007 SPs.

I am surprised that you have rarely needed to use the EMS, considering the amount of functionality that is only available at the PS command line. Once I started using it in 2007 I'm not sure I can or want to get by without powershell.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Claymoore wrote: »
    While the 662 Exchange 2010 may not be a powershell syntax test like the 236 Exchange 2007 exam, you will need to know the EMS cmdlets to pass the exam. Especially now that Exchange 2010 service packs seem to be removing functionality from the EMC, unlike the Exchange 2007 SPs.

I am surprised that you have rarely needed to use the EMS, considering the amount of functionality that is only available at the PS command line. Once I started using it in 2007 I'm not sure I can or want to get by without powershell.

Thanks. I've used it on a more "need to know basis". For the most part I do a setup/install or config through the EMC 90% of the time but would do a few commands using some exchange sites as reference. I've also done some scripting for mass changes but nothing that I would consider crucial for my day to day operations.

I just find it disappointing as I go through this book I find myself having to simply remember these commands (easy as they are) for the sake of passing the exam while knowing when I go back to my office they will not be used. As if MS is making Exchange out to be much harder than it really is. In a nutshell Exchange is very easy to use and install.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deffo more EMS required .. not saying in relation to the exam (not allowed to say anything obviously) but things like Managed folder etc. has all been removed from the EMC as of SP1 and Microsoft is starting to change the exam to include SP1 ... Plus, a lot of tasks simply can't be done through the EMC ... no matter on which SP level you're on.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p