MCSE...It only took 7+ years...passed 298

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
PASSED 298 this morning with a score of 700!!! I HATE this exam format icon_lol.gif . I did just well enough from my last test to pass (678 score). Suggestions are to read the forums here on test taking techniques. I did the question first/case study last method. TIME MANAGEMENT IS KEY. I luckily only had 1 testlet that really had my scratching my head to find the BEST answer and eventually made a semi-educated guess on the final question.

Either way, That should wrap up my MCSE 2003 track!!! I'm just eagerly awaiting my confirmation email from Microsoft.

My study material this time was:
MS-Press 70-299 book
Sybex 70-298 Book
Transcender
CBT Nuggets 70-298
Forums
MS site
Labs

Sincerely,

-Latest Member of the 700 Club icon_cool.gif
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the 700 and the MCSE: Sec club! I got a 700 exactly on my first SQL Server exam. That blew chunks. But the score that really killed me was for the 70-294. I thought I was going to score in the mid maybe low 800s. Low 700s. Only test I ever passed that the passing score made me angry.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations :)
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congrats - quite an accomplishment, regardless of the timeframe.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's the MCSE pass post! I've been waiting for years to see this!

Congrats!

As much time as you had for this, I bet you can throw out ldap queries in your sleep. ;)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!!! Achieving the MCSE status is no small feat.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote: »
    It's the MCSE pass post! I've been waiting for years to see this!

Congrats!

Me too Mishra, me too icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Grats, I did my first exam in 2006, my last in 2009 but 7 years is epic. I am guessing that you ahd a busy 7 years of gainfull employment in that time?..which is just as epcic as getting the MCSE IMO.

But anyways, big Grats \0/
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Grats, I did my first exam in 2006, my last in 2009 but 7 years is epic. I am guessing that you ahd a busy 7 years of gainfull employment in that time?..which is just as epcic as getting the MCSE IMO.

But anyways, big Grats \0/

Heh, to be technical, I achieved MCP status in 06. However, I've been wanting to be acquire MCSE status since the 2003 track came out for the most part. And yes, gainful employment REALLY slowed me down. Most of my motivation to get certified was to get out of where I was. Once I moved on, work hours went way up and cert desire went way down. icon_lol.gif

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    snadam wrote: »
    Heh, to be technical, I achieved MCP status in 06. However, I've been wanting to be acquire MCSE status since the 2003 track came out for the most part. And yes, gainful employment REALLY slowed me down. Most of my motivation to get certified was to get out of where I was. Once I moved on, work hours went way up and cert desire went way down. icon_lol.gif

I probably would tune that up to

REALLY slowed me down

;)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Big congrats to you, snadam! :D

That "work" stuff really cuts into the study-time, doesn't it? I'm glad you finally knocked the MCSE out, it's good to see you didn't give it up. (Gives me a little bit of hope that I can finish the damn thing up before long, here. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Wow, good for you!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great job man!!!
    -Daniel
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Top stuff, and it's there to stay as well.

Mine took me from '06 to '09 to complete as well. 2x MCPS in 2x years, then crammed the rest in the 10 months.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PASSED 298 this morning with a score of 700!!! I HATE this exam format icon_lol.gif . I did just well enough from my last test to pass (678 score). Suggestions are to read the forums here on test taking techniques. I did the question first/case study last method. TIME MANAGEMENT IS KEY. I luckily only had 1 testlet that really had my scratching my head to find the BEST answer and eventually made a semi-educated guess on the final question.

Either way, That should wrap up my MCSE 2003 track!!! I'm just eagerly awaiting my confirmation email from Microsoft.

MS-Press 70-299 book
    Sybex 70-298 Book
    Transcender
    CBT Nuggets 70-298
    Forums
    MS site
    Labs

Sincerely,

Congratulations! I shouldn't worry. I'm going on 10 years on and off to finish the CCIE but have been very gainfully employed throughout the whole process. Work pays the bills and there is also life to consider, marraige and children. Both require your time and focus. So long as the good things in life are progressing there really is no rush.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

MS-Press 70-299 book
    Sybex 70-298 Book
    Transcender
    CBT Nuggets 70-298
    Forums
    MS site
    Labs

Sincerely,

I think more people should take this approach. People who fly through certifications, especially intricate ones very rarely retain the information. I am sure there are some special cases, but those people are the same ones who really don't need the certs. Obviously you have system admins and other position which touch a lot of these technologies and I can see the learning curve ramped up for them. But people who have only been in the industry 1-2 years that have dozens upon dozens of certs and even the high level ones looks bizarre.

Anyway I just wanted to give you props, because I think you did it right!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I think more people should take this approach. People who fly through certifications, especially intricate ones very rarely retain the information. I am sure there are some special cases, but those people are the same ones who really don't need the certs. Obviously you have system admins and other position which touch a lot of these technologies and I can see the learning curve ramped up for them. But people who have only been in the industry 1-2 years that have dozens upon dozens of certs and even the high level ones looks bizarre.

Anyway I just wanted to give you props, because I think you did it right!

Becoming a craftsman takes years anyway. The ancient Greek masons could exactly judge the fluting on a marble column by eye as they worked the stone. You dont get that skilled in a hurry.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeeeeeeeeeessssss! Fantastic news Snadam, I've been following your progress and ups and downs on this path but am really chuffed you stuck with it and 'won'. Congrats fella!!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438

That's almost identical to me, although I did 3 exams in 2006, then faced getting laid off at the end of 2009 but I had 12 months heads up to finish my certs so thats what I did. icon_thumright.gif
    Wow, thanks for the responses! I finally saw MCSE on my MCP Transcript Sunday morning! (not that I was looking almost every waking hour icon_wink.gif

Mishra wrote: »
    I probably would tune that up to

REALLY slowed me down

;)

Mishra, funniest thing I read this weekend!

• wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go you. Fair play snadam :)

Plus side is that i'm just about to do 70-647 & 649

so i might be making some notes ;)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Congrats!!! on getting your MCSE, Thats a great Achievement, you are a certified Engineer mate
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on becoming MCSE certified!! icon_thumright.gif

I'm hoping to get there this year
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif I have followed your posts for a few years now. I have one test left to go for a MCSE and it has been since 2004 that I got my first MCP. I originally went for a Windows 2000 track but started up again in 2008 and changed to 2003. I've just been very slack. icon_cry.gif
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!