Help with WLAN controllers

boileboile Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
Thanks a lot for reading my post. Now my question is:

I am really new to Cisco Wireless technology. I have some WLAN controllers, and some AP's to configure for our network.

I tried to configure a WLAN and an AP in a test environment. The output is:

My client machines can see the SSID on the network manager. It means, my AP is broadcasting the SSID, that I setup on my WLAN controller. However, when I try to connect my client to the SSID(network). It shows its connecting, but it does not connect. So, that means I have done something wrong with the configuration. Can anyone please help.

Another problem is, how do I setup my controllers, or what do I need to do for the password-key authentication. So that my clients would need to provide a pass-phrase key, when I ask it to connect to the network.

I went through the Cisco documentation, and some online resources. Since, this is the first time I am dealing with Cisco WLAN and APs. I am facing difficulties.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    What Software Version and Model WLC do you have?

Google the Configuration guide from Cisco's site, that will provide you more then enough information.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Jas21Jas21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Rather than start a new thread - hope no-one minds me hijacking this?

I have a 520 WLAN controller - approx 3 -5 AP's (not sure of exact model as yet) and have been asked to create a separate 'guest' WLAN which just have access to the Internet and goes nowhere near the corporate LAN.

I'm totally new to this and wondered if anyone had any tips config wise? I take it I create a new VLAN and have the WLAN controller broadcast a 'guest' SSID
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I run the same config from a 5508 WLC. I didn't know you could do multiple WLAN's/SSID's on a 520, but if you can, wonderful.

You will create two dynamic interfaces... one for corpusers and one for guests. In the interface config, assign a vlan identifier and give the interface the appropriate addressing/gateway information, and point to your dhcp server.

Then in WLAN config, create two profiles... again, one for corpusers and one for guests. In their respective configs, point to the correct interface.

In our case, corpusers get their ip config from our Cat6509, and have access to all corp resources.
    Guests get their ip config from a linksys router, and can access nothing but the internet, and only ports 80/443 at that.

HTH.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    boile wrote: »
    Another problem is, how do I setup my controllers, or what do I need to do for the password-key authentication. So that my clients would need to provide a pass-phrase key, when I ask it to connect to the network.

I went through the Cisco documentation, and some online resources. Since, this is the first time I am dealing with Cisco WLAN and APs. I am facing difficulties.

How do you set up your controllers? Really?

Reread the cisco documentation for the controller you have. It's all there. Cisco provided more than 200 pages for the 5508, and it covers every possible config choice. I didn't have to look elsewhere.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
    mikearama wrote: »
    I didn't know you could do multiple WLAN's/SSID's on a 520, but if you can, wonderful.

I'm not 100% sure that you can I've just been asked to find out of its possible or not?!

Thanks for your assistance :)
    actually I just found out that it does, the only issue now is that we don't have the username and password to get on it, and judging by its software version, it may be a reset and the config isn't backed up!