ITIL v3 Foundation Exam: Scheduled for April 9

instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
I've scheduled the exam.

Study resources:
1. A great posting the IT Skeptic made, on how you could study this stuff for free (at least, the foundation)
Pass the ITIL V3 Foundation exam in six easy and (almost) free steps | The IT Skeptic

2. Introductory Overview of ITIL http://www.itsmfi.org/files/itSMF_ITILV3_Intro_Overview.pdf

3. ITIL v3 Foundation Syllabus http://www.itil-officialsite.com/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=625&sID=173

4. Taruu's Study Guide http://taruu.com/Documents/ITIL%20v3%20Foundation%20Study%20Guide%20v4.2.2.5.pdf

5. Sample Exams from APM Group (sorry, no links for this, LOL)

These are the only resources I have looked at so far. The itskeptic's site has plenty of lniks there. If I get to a point in the syllabus that I don't have good notes for, then I may wind up getting an e-book just to make sure I cover everything.

My study goal is to make sure that I, at the least, know everything outlined in the syllabus, so I won't be caught off guard. By most accounts I can find searching across the net, the test is a cake-walk (official syllabus says only 18 hours of study is recommended), but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially when I'm putting cold hard cash down on the test.

Should be posting back on April 9th on my result.

EDIT:

April 9: I passed, see post #8 for additional information.
Currently Working: CCIE R&S
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck, you seem to have all the resources needed. You'll do just fine, do let us know how you go!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Same list of resources I used, you should do fine. Here is the link for the sample tests from APM:
    http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3SamplePapers/ITILV3SamplePapers.aspx

Good luck!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I attempted Sample Paper A, and I got 35/40.

The types of questions that I am most worried about:

1. Put these items in order
    2. One of these things is NOT like the others,
    3. Choose all that apply

The types of questions that I am most comfortable with:
    1. Define this
    2. This definition applies to what?
    3. Using common sense, what is the answer to this question?

So, I'm going to work on my memorization for this test. Going to make some flash cards this evening after work, for the last push on studying to lock in these "steps in order", and also to lock in all the steps/types/pieces that correspond to a particular process

The Taruu Guide is very good, but I am not sure it gives everything I need for the ITIL v3 Foundation Syllabus.

Will continue to study, because I do not want to get caught off guard by this one (though by most accounts the test is easy, would hate to slip up, and not give it enough effort, and then fail it) .... Now if it is unexpectedly crazy, and asks questions that are not even in the material, then, yeah, I would complain. But if it asks questions that are covered in the material, I have no room to complain.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    instant000 wrote: »
    I attempted Sample Paper A, and I got 35/40.

The types of questions that I am most worried about:

1. Put these items in order
    2. One of these things is NOT like the others,
    3. Choose all that apply

None of those types of questions are on the exam.

MS
    eMes:

Given your extensive ITIL exam exposure based upon your signature, I would guess that you know what you're talking about.

I use the style of the questions as a template to ask myself MY OWN QUESTIONS to prepare for the test.

Today is more syllabus review, and more sample paper review.

Looking like a slow Friday at the office (cherish them when you get them) going to use it wisely.
    I use the style of the questions as a template to ask myself MY OWN QUESTIONS to prepare for the test.

No issue with that...everyone has to prepare as is best for them. The only issue that I have is that your post might read to someone who is unfamiliar with the exam that the types of questions that you listed would actually appear on the exam.

This is a big issue in the world of ITIL certification, and in the world of certification in general. When people use and promote the use of unaccredited training materials, the results are mixed. This is because these materials do not necessarily cover what is needed, nor do they necessarily cover material in the correct manner. IMO this problem is on the same scale as the problem of people dumping exams.
    Today is more syllabus review, and more sample paper review.

To get this back on track it seems that you're adequately prepared. Dare I say potentially over-prepared...

Reading the syllabus is likely to be a bit much, IMO. As an accredited instructor for ITIL topics I read it when it changes, but that's because it helps me ensure that I cover the topics that are necessary for the class.

MS
    I passed!!!!!

Greatest study tips:
    1. Know Service Lifecycle
    2. Know the processes of each phase.
    3. Know the sub-processes of each process
    4. Know the functions
    5. Know the glossary (freely available from officialsite)
    6. Know the syllabus (freely available from officialsite)
    7. Take sample exam (freely available from officialsite)
    No issue with that...everyone has to prepare as is best for them. The only issue that I have is that your post might read to someone who is unfamiliar with the exam that the types of questions that you listed would actually appear on the exam.

Wow, good point there. Sorry for that, was just generally referring to what types of questions gave me issues, in general, not particularly with this tests, or any others.
    This is a big issue in the world of ITIL certification, and in the world of certification in general. When people use and promote the use of unaccredited training materials, the results are mixed. This is because these materials do not necessarily cover what is needed, nor do they necessarily cover material in the correct manner. IMO this problem is on the same scale as the problem of people dumping exams.

I agree here. Even I myself posted above that the Taruu guide did not fully cover the syllabus for me (I used the syllabus as my study pattern.) However, the Taruu guide is useful for getting an idea about ITIL (the same as the ITVSMF paper I linked to above. However, I must caution that the Taruu guide definitely DOES NOT serve as adequate preparation for the exam. (This stated by someone who read Taruu guide, AND just took the exam today.)

Also, in particular, the issue with the practice exams that are available for free on the net, versus the sample paper at the officialsite .... the sample paper at the official site is the best template for the types of questions that you will encounter on the test. Not the exact questions--sorry if you're looking for that--but the best template for the types of questions that I encountered were like those on officialsite. I hope that this statement is not misleading, as it is based on my actual experience.

I cannot know if I was over-prepared, as I did not pass by so much, LOL. Though, I did know for sure which questions I definitely knew, and which ones I was iffy on. It just seems that whatever it is you're shaky on going into a test, that is what you will definitely find on the test, in one way or another. That can be dangerous on a test like this, especially considering there's so few questions, if you get quite a few that you don't know, you're stuck like Chuck.

If I had to do this all over again, I'd start with reading some logo'ed material, and then use the syllabus and glossary to tighten myself up, followed by looking at the officialsite practice exam, then self-testing myself against other questions that I can make myself similar to those.

Fortunately, I was able to get my hands on some "logo" material from my job, but I only had a couple days look at it. (Wish I had read more of this stuff!)

Now, time to bask in this minor success for a couple hours, update the resume, then scope out my next target.

I SPECIFICALLY went after this one, as I saw it in job descriptions for positions that I was interested in.

You all have a great day!
    Congrats on the pass!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cool.

My biggest mistake was "underestimating" this one. I passed, but not by as much as I wanted. At least I now have solid, legitimate advice to give to others who might face this exam in the future.

It's not a shortcut (sorry to those who wanted that), but post #8 is a nice, no-frills approach to the exam.

I tried to prepare for the thing for free (how silly can I be, as if my time isn't valuable?) ... but, in retrospect, it is more than worth it, to use official materials to study from.