TCP/IP Presentation

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I have an interview next week to teach IT classes at a local college. Part of the interview process is to give a 15 minute presentation on TCP/IP.
I'd like some input from the TE'ers here on what I should put in the presentation.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TCP/IP can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. What knowledge level is your audience supposed to be at?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My audience will be professors but my presentation should be aimed at JUCO students for a A+ or Net+ type class.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    You could wow them by explaining the difference between TCP (transport control protocol) and UDP (universal datagram protocol) and the actual IP protocol itself. We say TCP/IP so much that we forget its actually more than one protocol. I would then compare it to the layer two ARP and contrast the differences between the two and how they are both important to local and wide networks.

IPv6 is in the news a lot so you could explain the importance of moving to that as opposed to staying with IPv4.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You might want to review the A+ and Net+ objectives to see what students are expected to know, you could then tailor your presentation accordingly.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! I would love to teach at the college level.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    IANA, OSI Model, TCP/IP model, graphically explain subnetting (as in show a /24 is 2 /25s put together etc.), port numbers, transport types, 3 way handshake. All come to mind.

Its a 15 minute presentation, gotta pick a couple and run with it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    • Define TCP/IP
    • Briefly go over the OSI Model
    • Briefly Discuss Subnetting
    • Touch a LITTLE bit on IPv6.
    Try to make a Powerpoint presentation with those (or others). Make the presentation about 10-12 minutes so that you can have a Q/A at the end.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They want it IPV4 only and places for questions during and at the end. I just don't know how deep to go into things. I've started putting together a powerpoint presentation already.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    • Define TCP/IP
    • Briefly go over the OSI Model
    • Briefly Discuss Subnetting
    • Touch a LITTLE bit on IPv6.
    Try to make a Powerpoint presentation with those (or others). Make the presentation about 10-12 minutes so that you can have a Q/A at the end.

+1. Definitely also throw in those quirky ways of remembering each model: "Please do not throw sausage pizza away" etc. Another one is you could show how data/user requests are fulfilled through the model and apply it to everyday computing (Facebook etc). In the end, they're probably not looking for a full white paper on TCP/IP; it'll most likely be more about your teaching style/skills and ability to connect with the audience.
    Remember, the OSI model is a big umbrella that TCP/IP is only a part of. Even though we were all taught OSI ad naseum in CCNA courses, this presentation is about TCP/IP specifically and it is a short lecture to boot. Focusing on the properties and protocols of TCP/IP is probably the best route to take.

Focusing too much on subnetting will bore the crap out of your audience and 15 minutes is not long enough to take someone with even a moderate sense of computers and networking to a point of understanding subnetting.

I would, if I were you, take two packets. DNS and FTP. One connectionless (DNS) and the other chatty. Both use IP to route but use different transport mechanisms. Why would you prefer to use UDP? Why is chatty preferred in something like FTP? Focus on examples they will understand. IP phones (everyone uses a phone) normally get their programming on boot from a TFTP server - why do we prefer to do that? Perhaps there are some times when we would change that to FTP based on the properties of UDP and TCP.

You want to let them know you have a detailed and nuanced understanding of this topic without putting them to sleep AND without discussing networking principles that aren't TCP/IP and can't be explained quickly and simply in a minute or less.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would talk about the 3-way handshake and then use wireshark to show them how it works among other things.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How did it go?