Sscp

DorobeeDorobee Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new to the message board. I am thinking of taking the SSCP or CISSP just want advise on this I do not have any security experience but have been in the IT industry for a number of years. I also a masters in computer and network security.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    With no InfoSec work experience, you should have a look at the CompTIA Security+ certification first. You will need verifiable InfoSec work experience to get the SSCP and CISSP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With no Security Experience, Security+ would be a better way to dip your toe in. Going Security+, then SSCP, then CISSP would be a good path for an entry level pro.
  • incry6tincry6t Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dorobee wrote: »
    I am new to the message board. I am thinking of taking the SSCP or CISSP just want advise on this I do not have any security experience but have been in the IT industry for a number of years. I also a masters in computer and network security.

pretty much what above said. i passed security+ and studying for sscp now. though kind of regretting it since i'm into pentest instead of management. i wouldn't do sscp after security+, just go for cissp if you're into management.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    incry6t wrote: »
    pretty much what above said. i passed security+ and studying for sscp now. though kind of regretting it since i'm into pentest instead of management. i wouldn't do sscp after security+, just go for cissp if you're into management.

Why not? That is the process I followed. I found that taking the exams in that order helped me to understand the material better.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • incry6tincry6t Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    azjag wrote: »
    Why not? That is the process I followed. I found that taking the exams in that order helped me to understand the material better.

mostly because i feel like I'm studying for CISSP with many materials overlapping. and that I don't really like management. I decided to go for SSCP because I wanted to learn, not really getting it so I can have a new job. but yeah, SSCP definitely help if you're getting CISSP later.
    A lot of people ponder whether to get the SSCP or not. If you don't have the experience to become CISSP-certified then it's not a difficult decision. But if you do, consider the following:

• Having studied for and passed the SSCP exam will greatly improve your chances of passing the CISSP exam on the first try.
    • You'll save time if you go straight for the CISSP.
    • Most hiring managers who know what the CISSP is seem to have no clue about the SSCP.
    • Knowing the SSCP CBK will give you more of a technical edge over the pure CISSP "managerial" types, and more of a "cert" edge over other job candidates that only have the CISSP.
    • You'll save money if you go straight for the CISSP.
    • Having both the CISSP and SSCP certs hanging on your office (or cubical) wall looks more impressive than just the CISSP alone (and on your resume/CV too).
    • The SSCP is an extra $65/year in AMF (CISSP+SSCP = $150/year) and 40 CPE/year.
    • You'll cover more DoD 8570.01 IA workforce requirements if you have both the CISSP and SSCP.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just received the SSCP 2nd Edition from CRC Press.

What other material do I need to pass this exam?
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    That really depends on what you already know. I would say start reading the book and be honest with yourself on what topics you do not have a good understanding of. Look at the references in the SSCP Candidate Information Bulletin for additional study materials that match the areas you feel weak in.