Project +2009 need advice

TekknomonTekknomon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello , I'm taking the project+ 2009 exam at the end of the month. I've read thru the forums about the various experiences with the exam. I also read the forum on WGU's forum about experiences (though that forum is rarely updated for this exam).
My current studies plans include: The guide published by Sybex, combined with memorizing the vocab definitions and trying to memorize major formula's. I also checked out the flashcards on the Sybex cd-rom. I havent used uceritify yet but plan to once I'm done reading the guide.
My question is: Is there anything else I can do to prepare for the test that would work?
The other book WGU sent on project+ isnt nearly as complete as the sybex guide so I'm planning to go with sybex for the remainder of my time.
Thanks!

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tekknomon wrote: »
    Hello , I'm taking the project+ 2009 exam at the end of the month. I've read thru the forums about the various experiences with the exam. I also read the forum on WGU's forum about experiences (though that forum is rarely updated for this exam).
    My current studies plans include: The guide published by Sybex, combined with memorizing the vocab definitions and trying to memorize major formula's. I also checked out the flashcards on the Sybex cd-rom. I havent used uceritify yet but plan to once I'm done reading the guide.
    My question is: Is there anything else I can do to prepare for the test that would work?
    The other book WGU sent on project+ isnt nearly as complete as the sybex guide so I'm planning to go with sybex for the remainder of my time.
    Thanks!

First of all, welcome to the TE forum. You'll find that we're pretty helpful for the most part.

I personally felt that the 2009 exam was not a difficult exam but definitely not easy. (This is not A+, Network+ or Security+...lol)

The Sybex guide was definitely helpful, especially the exam essentials part. Read through it and make sure the one formula you memorize is the lines of communications. Can't stress that enough. uCertify was definitely helpful as well. The WGU book was pretty useless, and you will find that others have stated the same. My mentor didn't even bother sending it to me. LOL. I think based on what you wrote, you are on a good road to prepare for the exam. Best of luck and welcome to TE once again.
  • phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I personally felt that the 2009 exam was not a difficult exam but definitely not easy. (This is not A+, Network+ or Security+...lol)

The Sybex guide was definitely helpful, especially the exam essentials part. Read through it and make sure the one formula you memorize is the lines of communications. Can't stress that enough. uCertify was definitely helpful as well. The WGU book was pretty useless, and you will find that others have stated the same. My mentor didn't even bother sending it to me. LOL. I think based on what you wrote, you are on a good road to prepare for the exam. Best of luck and welcome to TE once again.

ERP is exactly right. Stick with the Sybex book.

Know your formulas. Be familiar enough with each formula that if you don't remember it exactly then you can at least work it out (definitely memorize the communication formula). Also, study the organization types (department and power structure) and each document (what it does, where it is used, etc.)

Take notes and study up on your weak areas.
    I'm sure you will do just fine.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just reading the 2 books (Sybex and the one WGU sent) are enough to pass. It really isn't that bad of an exam.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Sybex's book really does a good job of explaining the different phases of project management and then really drilling into those phases. If you take your time and stay diligent I don't see why you couldn't pass.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    If you take your time and stay diligent I don't see why you couldn't pass.

The OP recognizes that it's an easy exam to fail. All exams are, but Project+ especially. You are exactly right though; as long as the OP remains diligent, he should have no problems.

Eansdad is probably right; you might not need uCertify, but I'll tell you what, every legitimate resource you can get your hands on to pass this exam, I will recommend that you use it cause it will help. The worst that happens is if you fail, you can at least get your money back from uCertify.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The OP recognizes that it's an easy exam to fail. All exams are, but Project+ especially. You are exactly right though; as long as the OP remains diligent, he should have no problems.

Eansdad is probably right; you might not need uCertify, but I'll tell you what, every legitimate resource you can get your hands on to pass this exam, I will recommend that you use it cause it will help. The worst that happens is if you fail, you can at least get your money back from uCertify.

No question about it, the more resources the better.

I failed the first time I took it and I have only failed 2 exams out of 15+, including vendor specific certifications.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Read-Only Flashcard Set

may help ya out
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Read-Only Flashcard Set

may help ya out

Cool flashcard site.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt