Changes to (ISC)2 CPE Submission Requirement for Magazine Subscriptions

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
To get CPEs for a security magazine subscription, you now need to submit a blurb describing your learning experience from the magazine. Seems like just a little more work for (ISC)2 members, but a lot more work for the (ISC)2. Throw another paid intern into the typing pool!

(ISC)2 wrote:
Dear Valued Member,

This is to inform you that there has been a change in the requirements for awarding five (5) CPE hours for magazine subscriptions. Effective June 1, 2011, our system will stop automatic granting of CPEs for magazine subscriptions.

This is the result of the ANSI annual surveillance audit of 2010, in which ANSI asked (ISC)2 to validate learning experience of those members who are awarded five (5) CPE hours for subscribing to (ISC)2-approved magazines. Therefore, after June 1, (ISC)2 will require our members to upload a brief summary (not more than 150 words) describing their learning experience from the magazine to which they have subscribed. Members can upload the summary to their account when they claim the CPEs. Like any other CPE credits, members should provide the necessary document or information regarding this particular CPE claim should it be audited.

If you have any questions about this change, do not hesitate to contact us at customersupport@isc2.org.

Kind regards,
(ISC)2 Management

Comments

• cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    I read the e-zines because its just something to pass the time, but I know others who just download the PDF's and do keyword searches to search for the answers to the quizzes to get the CPE credits, which kind of defeats the purpose of going the magazine route to get these credits. So I really like this move, but I agree, a lot of man hours to go through and validate people's submissions.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Who said they would actually validate them all... ;)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm hoping they'll email members indicating when submitting a blurb is needed. Many security publication automatically submit the CPEs when you subscribe. People will subscribe to a journal and not realize they need to send a write-up to the (ISC)2 too.

I'm also wondering if this requirement will be extended to Webinars. If they want proof you are reading your magazines, they should want proof you are actually watching the CPE-laden Webinars you sign up for too.
    How would they require that? I can recall doing a few of them last year, and they provide pdf's of the presentation to go with the webinar. That is more than enough to answer 10 rudimentary questions about the material. How could you prove that you had spent the time to watch each one?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The same way you "prove" you read that magazine. icon_wink.gif
    To me, it kinda seems pointless to have to validate CPEs, when they give you 5 for filling out a 10 minute survey... that's equivalent to a lot of conferences/classroom time.