70-680 Exam

steven.asteven.a Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask - is the exam prep that is included on the CD with the 70-680 MS Press book (the MeasureUp powered exam) relevant to the sort of questions that get asked on the real exam?

I've heard some people say it is more difficult but then others say that the exam prep is no where near the same difficulty as the real exam.

Please help!

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't taken the exam but a lot of people who have say that the test is way harder and covers a lot of areas not coversed by the exam prep. A lot of the problem is that these exams are written (usually) before the official release of the OS or the cert exam. The exam authors don't always know all the relevant features or which ones will be more tested on.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • steven.asteven.a Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks earweed!

Anyone else have any opinion on this? Particularly anyone who has taken the exam?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found the exam questions on the CD to be helpful, but not necessarily relevant to the objectives. There is some overlap from the 686 exam, so I would use multiple resources and use practice tests from the 680, 686, and 685, too, just to cover the bases.
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    The MS Press book covered about 20% of my exam. Using it and the Sybex book, I failed twice. I passed the third time after going over some TrainSignal and CBT Nugget videos and doing more googling on the objectives themselves.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    altjx wrote: »
    The MS Press book covered about 20% of my exam.

I agree, when I did 680 last year I read a couple of pages of that book and then gave up on it as it wasn't much use IMHO. I learnt more by labbing like mad, reading Technet and the Windows 7 Reskit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    LCA wrote: »
    I agree, when I did 680 last year I read a couple of pages of that book and then gave up on it as it wasn't much use IMHO. I learnt more by labbing like mad, reading Technet and the Windows 7 Reskit.

Exactly. I find that after reading whatever sources to prepare for the book, just going over the objectives one by one making sure to complete the steps and revert the steps seems like good preparation.

I'm going to take the 70-685 soon and going to read the MS Press book. I'll consider it only a small amount of study with a lot of pages, lol. Never going to simply use a MS press book as my only study again.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA