mcsa track

Hi,

Since I finally decided to get on with certs I am now probably going to go the MCSA track. Couple of questions that I would like some comments on please.

should I go or 2000 or standard 2003 core exams? With a newborn I probably want the easiest one. ( may sort the other one later ) Is their much difference in how hard they are/revision needed? We have both 2000 and 2003 in work so can play on both.

Is the exam question based or simulation?

If I just decide to go for an MCP to start with ( to get the ball rolling in this area ) which one is likely to be easier to obtain?

Can anyone recommend any good training material/books/test engines please?

I already passed the MCDST and am going to sit the 270 so its whats after Im interested in.

Heard the passing score was 664?

BTW anyone know if 2000 will be retired soon as that will make the rest of the questions redundant.

Cheers

AAA
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    should I go or 2000 or standard 2003 core exams?
    I would say 2000 is a bit easier if you've been using. I am going for my 2000 as well. I will then upgrade to 2003 later.
    Is the exam question based or simulation?
    I believe the MCSA exams are questions based, although there may be some sims contained.
    If I just decide to go for an MCP to start with ( to get the ball rolling in this area).....
    You already have attained MCP. Passing any single M$(including MCDST) exam gives you that credential.
    Can anyone recommend any good training material/books/test engines please?
    I use, and like Sybex and M$ Press books myself. I also use Transcender, although I have the older version. They have updated since, so I cannot speak for the new product.
    I already passed the MCDST and am going to sit the 270 so its whats after Im interested in.
    You'll probably have less trouble since you've passed MCDST, as they both cover the same OS, XP.
    Heard the passing score was 664?
    I think it's 700, I could be wrong though.
    BTW anyone know if 2000 will be retired soon as that will make the rest of the questions redundant.
    I have heard nothing of 2000 being retired, and M$ will give plenty of notice before they do anything major like such.

hope that helps, corrections welcome....

Cheers!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    The 70-270 does not have any sim based question but the 290-291 do.

The passing score is 700.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    looks like I may start with the 215 then ( and I should have said MCP on the server side not client - I know what you mean though )
  • spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can still take 270 with the 2000 route, as you have your MCDST 270 should be easy.

personally 2003 would be the better route it is more up to date and would look better on any job application because of that fact.

also i believe the upgrade from 2000 - 2003 is a very hard exam, i don't actually know many people that have managed to pass without a few goes.
    still waiting for a book/study recommendation if anyone can suggest please
    still waiting for a book/study recommendation if anyone can suggest please
    ricka182 wrote:
    I use, and like Sybex and M$ Press books myself. I also use Transcender, although I have the older version. They have updated since, so I cannot speak for the new product.

It also will help greatly if you have a small lab to get some hands-on practice seeing what you've learned....

If you buy any M$ book, they come with an evaluation copy of the software. It's only good for 120 days, but you can just reinstall as much as you'd like.
    which is harder 215 or 218 or 290?

Anyone know?
  • ITGuy88ITGuy88 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for the MCSE. I use the CBT Nuggets training videos and a three PC lab. They are quite expensive though. I only use them because my teacher lent me the material, and i use his lab.

I run the CBT Nuggets video on one PC, i have another configured with XP, and a third that i configured with Server 2003. This is a practical setup.
    which is harder 215 or 218 or 290?

Anyone know?

I would say 290 is the hardest of the three, followed by 215, then 218 being the easiest. That is, if you keep studying in progression.