Passed 70-646

PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Scored 962. Was expecting something harder, but it was quiet easy. Some questions were out of Windows 2008 scope: you were expected to know something about System Center, Sharepoint, differences between 2008 versions.

I used Trainsignal videos, MS Press book and Measureup test, no lab (run out of time). Spent two weeks preparing, total ~60 hours. I think I have wasted my time watching Trainsignal - basically it was the same material as in 70-640 and 70-642 videos and I remember them good.
Also for those who doesn't have much hands-on practice on Server 2008, then may be logical step to take 70-643 first, because exam full of questions about RDS and IIS.

About R2 questions: I had no questions that needed to know R2 specific features, although all questions included words "2008 R2".
2013 to do list:
[70-413] [70-414]

Comments

• Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the high score!
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz on the pass!
    Nice score as well!
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • RoRsChAcHRoRsChAcH Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats....just starting studying for this test today so thanks for the feedback!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass, nice score!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great score. Well done icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I'd love to get more feedback from you on our course. Feel free to PM me.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gifbowing.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, I actually found the exam hard so good for you ;)
  • rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    awesome! I also started studying for this exam today.

So, i was thinking about just going with the Train Signal videos + any book from the bookstore that's good.

So, let me get this straight, you did no labs at all? icon_thumright.gif Good job. I am not planning on doing any labs either because I don't have a good computer and I only have 2.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done! That's a sweet score.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the great score! I just passed the 70-647 and I'm debating taking this one.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!!

Nice score icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rushdown wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight, you did no labs at all? icon_thumright.gif Good job. I am not planning on doing any labs either because I don't have a good computer and I only have 2.

I didn't do any labs for this particular exam. But 80-90% of this exam material is covered by my day to day tasks at work, so in a way i do lab... everyday :)

Have you already taken 70-640 and 70-642 exams?
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am not planning on doing any labs either because I don't have a good computer and I only have 2.

You dont need a great computer. All you need is a processor that does VT-x (virtualisation) and hardware DEP, I think any Intel e6500 and above does VT-x. You need a bit of RAM though. You need a 64 bit host OS to run 2008 R2 in any virtualisation program. You need about 12-15GB per VM, so you can get by with even a 120GB HDD, although things will be slowww. Another good thing, Microsoft have a full copy of 2008 R2 on their website just in case you didnt know.

What kinda computer do you have at the moment? You'll be surprised that it wont cost as much to upgrade your machine to do the labs. And labs are what really teach the material. You dont want to be a paper tiger, no point in having the cert and then not being able to tell a DC apart from a member server.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Povilas wrote: »
    I didn't do any labs for this particular exam. But 80-90% of this exam material is covered by my day to day tasks at work, so in a way i do lab... everyday :)

Have you already taken 70-640 and 70-642 exams?

Nope, I have not taken either of those two exams. I work in IT also and we have some Win 2K3 and Win 2K8 servers I can mess around with though. So, I do get to play around with Server 2008 a bit as well.
    Essendon wrote: »
    You dont need a great computer. All you need is a processor that does VT-x (virtualisation) and hardware DEP, I think any Intel e6500 and above does VT-x. You need a bit of RAM though. You need a 64 bit host OS to run 2008 R2 in any virtualisation program. You need about 12-15GB per VM, so you can get by with even a 120GB HDD, although things will be slowww. Another good thing, Microsoft have a full copy of 2008 R2 on their website just in case you didnt know.

What kinda computer do you have at the moment? You'll be surprised that it wont cost as much to upgrade your machine to do the labs. And labs are what really teach the material. You dont want to be a paper tiger, no point in having the cert and then not being able to tell a DC apart from a member server.

I've got an Asus G73JH laptop. I don't know if the processor does VT-x or hardware DEP? My laptop has an Intel i7 Q740, it has Windows 7 64 bit OS with only 6 GB of RAM. I've got 340 GB HD space available. And, no, I didn't know that MS has a full copy of R2 on their website. Is it free?

On a sidenote, I downloaded VMPlayer and successfully got Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition to run on it a few minutes ago on my laptop. The Train Signal video told me I need to run three of these virtual machines on it. I hope my laptop can handle it. I know it's a good laptop for playing games, I'm not sure about running virtual machines however because I've never really done it before.

Edit: I just went to www.dreamspark.com and saw that Microsoft had Server 2008 R2 and Server 2008 (both Standard Edition), is this what you were talking about?
    Man that computer is darn good for the labs. I only have 4GB of RAM on my e6500 500GB system, and I am getting by. With 6GB RAM, you are well set. The i7 absolutely does VT-x, and I dont think you can install 2008 R2 without VT-x.

Here's my setup. I have dual-booted my machine (2008 r2 and Windows 7). With 2008 R2 running as my host system, I can play with Hyper-v as well (and this a fairly major topic on the 643 and 647 exams, so make sure you lab it). I'd recommend you do this too.

You are good to go, just lab away. 2008 r2 is available for free download at Download Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1

You only need to download this once and can run multiple VM's off it (although running more than 3-4 will slow things down).

P.S. By full copy I meant, a full trial copy that's valid for 180 days upon first activation. 180 days is enough anyways, to get around it you can either rearm it or delete the VM and recreate it and activate again and you have another 180 days.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With 6GB RAM, you are well set. The i7 absolutely does VT-x, and I dont think you can install 2008 R2 without VT-x.

).
    2008 R2 will run fine by itself without VT-x. I have 2008 R2 as a dual boot on my desktop (just a pentium D) but just can't do Hyper-v on it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Man that computer is darn good for the labs. I only have 4GB of RAM on my e6500 500GB system, and I am getting by. With 6GB RAM, you are well set. The i7 absolutely does VT-x, and I dont think you can install 2008 R2 without VT-x.

Here's my setup. I have dual-booted my machine (2008 r2 and Windows 7). With 2008 R2 running as my host system, I can play with Hyper-v as well (and this a fairly major topic on the 643 and 647 exams, so make sure you lab it). I'd recommend you do this too.

You are good to go, just lab away. 2008 r2 is available for free download at Download Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1

You only need to download this once and can run multiple VM's off it (although running more than 3-4 will slow things down).

P.S. By full copy I meant, a full trial copy that's valid for 180 days upon first activation. 180 days is enough anyways, to get around it you can either rearm it or delete the VM and recreate it and activate again and you have another 180 days.

Thanks for all the information! icon_thumright.gif
    earweed wrote: »
    2008 R2 will run fine by itself without VT-x. I have 2008 R2 as a dual boot on my desktop (just a pentium D) but just can't do Hyper-v on it.
    Ok in that case, I stand corrected. Thanks weed, for clearing that out.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nope, I have not taken either of those two exams. I work in IT also and we have some Win 2K3 and Win 2K8 servers I can mess around with though. So, I do get to play around with Server 2008 a bit as well.

Why are you taking this exam as very first? It doesn't give any title or certificate without other two and it contains a lot of material from 640 and 642 exams - if you will take these two first, then you already will know 50% of material for 646 exam.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
    Why are you taking this exam as very first? It doesn't give any title or certificate without other two and it contains a lot of material from 640 and 642 exams - if you will take these two first, then you already will know 50% of material for 646 exam.

Oh, I didn't know that. Which should I take first? I assume it's the 640 test?
  • certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Why are you taking this exam as very first?

Because his name is RushDown! :D