stuff. My ideal job would be part time in a small local computer store
doing upgrades, trouble shooting, repairs, etc. I want to get paid but
I don't require a big salary. Just a few extra bucks. Does this put me
at an advantage or disadvantage over the person who wants a full time
career? Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the hardware exam pass!

I don't see any advantage or disadvantage as long as you keep your musical career flexible because anyone who gives you a job will put you on their schedule and expect you to be there as scheduled. They also may expect to step up to help out if another tech is absent, or to "help get caught up" if there is a lot that needs to be done.

Good luck on the OS exam, and good luck on getting just the right IT job.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Tarkus wrote:
    ...I want to get paid but
    I don't require a big salary. Just a few extra bucks. Does this put me
    at an advantage or disadvantage over the person who wants a full time
    career? Thanks for any responses.

Congratulations!

I don't think it is an advantage nor a disadvantage. In some respect this could make you an ideal float person at a small shop. At the same time, some smaller stores like consistancy and therefore you could be seen as someone they do not want employeed.

Just depends. Create a couple resumes to target what you want to do, and hit the pavement. You may offer some 'free' labor as a trial to see if you can negotiate a deal when they can see your work....such as a sub-contractor.

Whether or not it is good or bad really depends upon how you sell it! ;)

Good luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TarkusTarkus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On the subject of resumes, I'm such a newbe. I'm 50yrs. old and have never ever even seen one. Never needed one .Any advice on how to go about writing one. Perhaps a good web page resume tutorial? What do you do? Send them out to places and pray the phone rings?
  • chris2wirechris2wire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try using a resume template in Microsoft Word, or Wordperfect.

And don't forget a cover letter! Be very expressive in your cover letter about your goals, why you want the job, and why you think you'll be a benefit to the company.
  • pipearcepipearce Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Tarkus...I am also in my 50's but I've been writing resumes all my life and always found them difficult.

A couple of years ago I purchased "The Complete Idiot's Guide to The Perfect Resume" (Second Edition ISBN 0-02-863394-6) and have never looked back!

This is a really good book that breaks writing resumes down to the basics, with lots of hints and tips for any situation you are in. It even has a good section on Cover Letters.

Cheers, Paul
  • TarkusTarkus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tip. There is one of those books on EBAY!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Tarkus wrote:
    On the subject of resumes, I'm such a newbe. I'm 50yrs. old and have never ever even seen one. Never needed one .Any advice on how to go about writing one. Perhaps a good web page resume tutorial? What do you do? Send them out to places and pray the phone rings?

You could check your local library. They should have some resources available. Certainly, Google will be useful, but your library may have someone on hand who can answer questions face-to-face rather than search and guess.

Best advice I can give you - Keep it simple!!
    No flashy fonts
    No flashy paper
    Simple concise words
    Have someone proof-read
    Keep in mind the reader will spend less than 30 seconds reading it. Make your case with a Cover Letter and a followup phone call....No don't wait for them to call you...you always call them!

While the process of updating or first-time creating a resume seems daunting, it's simply a history summary - education, work experience, credentials and a simple address/phone number in the event they call you first ;)

Others may have varying experience, but this is what has worked for me as well as people I have consulted over the years. It needs to feel right to you, but in the end, your resume is the image you project before you can meet someone.

Also, keep in mind you may create a few resumes to target the job you are applying for. You would not use the same resume for a Sales position as you would a management or a worker position. So, do not hesitate to create a couple layouts and styles.

Being in your 50's (not that your age should be a problem), you may wish to invest a little into having a job counselor or someone help you streamline your resume to be certain it reflects your proper credentials.

Some people feel that being a certain age (too old, too young), being out of the workforce (mom who raised kids), going to school later in life...work experience first, family, education in their 40's, puts them at a disadvantage....BULLL! :) Just need to focus on the positives of those situations. Looking for work can be frustrating at any age at any point in life - so be persistent.

It is always easier to find work when you have something ;)

Good Luck, and if you want to discuss ideas more, feel free to start a thread in the Job/IT forum - you'll get more ideas than you may want :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?