Options

CCSE NGX R65 Self Study advice

tinu_karkitinu_karki Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm intending to study go for CCSE NGX R65. Found it a bit difficult to find learning material for it but I might buy the CBT Nuggets video. When I did my CCSA i just used the study guide and built some virtual firewalls to do the lab exercises. Anyone that has previously done the CCSE, do you recommend any other books or resources for this exam other than the CBT nuggets?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have nothing to add about the ccse but I would like to know how difficult the. Ccsa was for you?
  • Options
    I have nothing to add about the ccse but I would like to know how difficult the. Ccsa was for you?

Hi the CCSA exam wasn't very difficult but was one of my least favourite exams. I felt the questions were more memory questions and there was lot of stuff in the course that was quite boring and which would never be used.......but hey thats just one opinion. The actual exam is a lot easier than Cisco CCNP level exams.
  • Options
    tinu_karki wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm intending to study go for CCSE NGX R65. Found it a bit difficult to find learning material for it but I might buy the CBT Nuggets video. When I did my CCSA i just used the study guide and built some virtual firewalls to do the lab exercises. Anyone that has previously done the CCSE, do you recommend any other books or resources for this exam other than the CBT nuggets?

Thanks

Bump.........seriously......no-one?
  • Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can get your company to pay for it, then you might want to get the official self-study material anyway. It doesn't get favorable reviews, so I wouldn't necessarily pay for that with your own money. Its $600 for the CCSA... I think $750 for the CCSE.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    linux_anarchistlinux_anarchist Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why would you take the R65 test? R65 firewall/vpn/management is end-of-life and IPS will soon go with it.

The R70 or R71 tests are out and the R75 tests are going to be out "real soon now".

I would not buy the courseware for list price ($500 each -- for CCSA and CCSE and CCMSE). It does not go deep enough in the topics to prepare you for the exam, and the quality control is absolutely pathetic.

Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of study material available for these tests. The best thing out there really is the free study guide and CBT practice test from checkpoint, along with the official documentation. Check Point's official documentation pack is surprisingly good, and the study guide will help you understand what you need to know very well for the exam. The questions on the practice test have a very, very high level of relevancy to the exam.