Is it possible...

Sirior83Sirior83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings all, I'm currently a 27 year old going to DeVry for an Associates in Accounting. I'm finding it...rather dry...and am debating trying to become a pen tester. Am I too old to learn it via self-teaching? If not, where do I begin cert-wise...?

Comments

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You are never too old to learn anything as long as you have to desire to learn it.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Sirior83Sirior83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    You are never too old to learn anything as long as you have to desire to learn it.

My father was a systems analyst for 30 years, computers are in my blood you could say. Being disabled makes computer work inevitable for me
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »

+1. When it comes down to it, its about passion and dedication. Cliché but you can do just about anything you put your mind to. Will it be an easy road? probably not; but the rewards at the end are priceless.

If you have any questions, feel free to pick the minds of the TE community; we don't bite icon_lol.gif

Whats your experience with computers so far?
    +1. When it comes down to it, its about passion and dedication. Cliché but you can do just about anything you put your mind to. Will it be an easy road? probably not; but the rewards at the end are priceless.

If you have any questions, feel free to pick the minds of the TE community; we don't bite icon_lol.gif

Whats your experience with computers so far?

As far as serious experience with coding and security, very little I admit. Took a CCNA course back in high school, back when it was very new. That cert has probably changed alot by now...
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yep, I couldn't agree more!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It really depends on your motivation & your ability to absorb data. Do you think you could teach yourself how a car engine works and then be able to work on one professionally? If so I would say you could jump in to IT. The only difference is that in IT the engine is always changing and getting bigger.
  • Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Too old?.....Not even close. I went back to college and started studying for certifications on my own in my late 30's with 3 kids at home. Hard work and a good break or two are all it takes. As far as where to start.... I am a fan of CompTIA for entry level certs. There is also a nice InfoSec section in these forums. Google is your friend also. Browsing through the forums here should get you started. Good Luck!
    WIP:
    ROUTE
    Geek1969 wrote: »
    Too old?.....Not even close. I went back to college and started studying for certifications on my own in my late 30's with 3 kids at home. Hard work and a good break or two are all it takes. As far as where to start.... I am a fan of CompTIA for entry level certs. There is also a nice InfoSec section in these forums. Google is your friend also. Browsing through the forums here should get you started. Good Luck!

Regarding the CompTIA certs, could I start with Sec+ or would I need A+ first? I'm not really a hardware guy...
    Sec+ has no official pre-requisites, only suggested ones. If you are thinking Sec+, do yourself a favor and buy Daril's book first. CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide I have really enjoyed reading it and will be taking the exam tomorrow.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
    Sec+ has no official pre-requisites, only suggested ones. If you are thinking Sec+, do yourself a favor and buy Daril's book first. CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide I have really enjoyed reading it and will be taking the exam tomorrow.

Is that book good in light of proposed 2011 changes in the exam?
    That has been asked here already. After looking through the new objectives, I think it would still be a good place to start. Others may have different thoughts.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
    That has been asked here already. After looking through the new objectives, I think it would still be a good place to start. Others may have different thoughts.

Sorry, didn't see that thread
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Sirior83 wrote: »
    Greetings all, I'm currently a 27 year old going to DeVry for an Associates in Accounting. I'm finding it...rather dry...and am debating trying to become a pen tester. Am I too old to learn it via self-teaching? If not, where do I begin cert-wise...?

You're never too old to learn something new!

The question is if you're willing to put in the time, effort, and dedication to your career.

IT careers can be somewhat fluid, but you can do your part to steer it, by diligently working towards where you really want to be.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have ambition?

If so then yes you can do this!