Options

SWITCH before CCNA

net_nomadnet_nomad Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I would like to get back on the cisco cert train.

I had a CCNA that expired about 2 years ago. right now I work with a large layer 2 network and im very comfortable with 90% of the contents of the switch exams.

I was thinking of studying and doing the SWITCH exam first and then going back to do the CCNA.

I know the CCNA is a pre-req for a CCNP, but since this knowledge is fresh in my mind I would like to get this particular exam out of my way first.

Comments

• Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    yep, there is nothing stopping you from taking the exam as long as you don't forget to take your CCNA before going for all of CCNP exams :P
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As long as you're up to the task it doesn't matter which mountain you climb first. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only problem I see is that MANY people are saying the new SWITCH exam is a mess. Poor grammar, poorly worded questions, simulations that crash or don't work.

Also, some topics that didn't seem to covered by the at least the cert guide. (IP SLA and snmp) Thats probably of less concern to you, though - if you're working on a large L2 network you're probably profient in both.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cisco has been know to throw ungraded "beta" questions into their exams. Is this the case with SWITCH?
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    Cisco has been know to throw ungraded "beta" questions into their exams. Is this the case with SWITCH?

That's probably part of it, but the ROUTE exam hasn't been receiving the same kind of hate. Well, apart from it being hard, which is par for the course.

I haven't taken either, so I really don't know anything apart from the rumors.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I might be wrong, but the impression I get is that it may have improved a little. A lot of people have been passing on here and I've seen less complaints.