Advice Please

yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello community, I need some help with PM certification, I'm new here and I will give a little bit of background about me.

Well I'm 26 years old and will graduate in summer 2011 with a bachelor of Technical Project Management degree from Devry University. I've been reading recently about PM certificates and came across few of them. Unfortunately, I don't have any real world experience in the PM, but I have great knowledge and information that I gained during my 4 years in college.

Of my understanding that the Pro+ is a CompTIA Cert for those with minimum PM experience and PMP is for those with experience and need to improve.

Can somebody explain to me the difference between Pro+, PMP and CAPM.
Also, if you were in my position, which one would you choose and why?

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    project+ is an entry level project management cert

its a great start if you have no idea on project management

there is also ITIL which is project management for IT (pmp of IT), you may want to look at that next
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are basically 3 project management certifications that I know of: PMI (Project Management Institute) offers CAPM and PMP, and CompTIA offers Project+.

PMI

All PMI exams require you to apply to take the exam, and require you to document your hours of experience and education. The applications can be audited before they allow you to take the test, too.

The CAPM is designed for lesser experienced folks who are either project contributors or lesser experienced Project Managers looking to demonstrate their understanding of the fundamental knowledge, terminology and processes of effective project management.

To apply for the CAPM, you need to have:
    • A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent)

AND
    • At least 1,500 hours experience OR 23 hours of project management education.

The PMP exam is for experienced project managers.

To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:
    • A four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

OR
    • A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

CompTIA

From my understanding, the Project+ certification is similar to the PMP exam only without the experience requirement.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    great replies, thanks for the input. I have one more question, I've noticed that most employer recommend PMP cert for PM positions even assistant positions.

How do employer look at the Comptia Pro+ cert?

Also, is there a study guid or books that I can use to study?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yazan84 wrote: »
    great replies, thanks for the input. I have one more question, I've noticed that most employer recommend PMP cert for PM positions even assistant positions.

How do employer look at the Comptia Pro+ cert?

Also, is there a study guid or books that I can use to study?

There is one benefit to the Project+ exam: it is based on the PMP exam to some degree. If you did well on Project+, you would be somewhat prepared for CAPM/PMP at some point in the future.

Now, to answer your question....employers don't look at Project+ at all (at least, from what I've noticed). I've seen PMP, Prince2, ITIL, Six Sigma being asked for in relation to Project Management...but hardly ever (or maybe never...) Project+.

The only study guide I've seen for Project+ is Sybex PK0-003...pretty much what we've all used to pass this certification.
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    There is one benefit to the Project+ exam: it is based on the PMP exam to some degree. If you did well on Project+, you would be somewhat prepared for CAPM/PMP at some point in the future.

Now, to answer your question....employers don't look at Project+ at all (at least, from what I've noticed). I've seen PMP, Prince2, ITIL, Six Sigma being asked for in relation to Project Management...but hardly ever (or maybe never...) Project+.

The only study guide I've seen for Project+ is Sybex PK0-003...pretty much what we've all used to pass this certification.

I'd say that's because they're looking for experienced Project Managers who can come in and hit the ground running, and won't need training, or to be brought up to speed. And that isn't a bad thing, that's usually how things go. Having a PMP or Prince2 means that you're been in the industry and have a certain level of experience with PM already.

I'd say for someone who doesn't have years of PM experience under their belt already, getting the CAPM certification along with Project+ demonstrate that they have a high level of knowledge of the Project Management processes. It isn't a substitute for experience, but it would definitely set them apart from someone without it. At the very least, it would show an employer that the person is passionate about project management methodology.

So, my suggestion would be to get the PMP if you meet the experience requirements, if not I'd get CAPM and Project+.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt