CCIE Security...

ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
So its on. I'm going after the CCIE Security. I said I wouldn't do that, but alas... fate has other plans.

This is what I ordered for the written:

1. CCIE Security Written Study Guide from CCBOOTCAMP
2. CCIE Security v3.0 Quick Reference from CiscoPress
3. CCIE Security v3.0 Cert Flash Cards Online from CiscoPress
4. Cisco ASA: All-in-One... 2nd Edition from CiscoPress
5. Network Security Technologies and Solutions from CiscoPress

Time to bust out CueCard and start making sh!tpiles of flash cards...
Derick Winkworth
CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Best of luck! I hope to tackle this one day.

joe
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome dude. You are pretty inspiring.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    fate has other plans
    And all this time I thought that fate only conspired to prevent people from studying for the CCIE. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    So its on. I'm going after the CCIE Security. I said I wouldn't do that, but alas... fate has other plans.

Hahahaha. Go for it!

Nice list of stuff you got there. Might I inquire on a timeline, or you don't really have one, just determined to do it within a year or two?

Excellent app there. This is a great post solely for mentioning that app. All this time I've been doing "flashcardexchange" or other similar sites. Don't know why it never clicked that there might be a freeware download.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Go for it. Security is a pretty tough track but you already have two IE's which will be a huge advantage. Any certain reason for going for it?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

I use mnemosyne for my flash cards. It's ok. I might try the CueCard thing. You should be good for the written with that list Derek, what are you intending to use for lab prep? Do you use FWSM/ASAs much at work?
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wanted to stay in the realm of "I am an expert in passing packets" and so I was sort of focusing on routing/switching/MPLS. Realistically, I don't think I can get away from doing the Security track if my goal is to be a CCDE. Besides, what networks are built these days without firewalls, IPSs, etc? None. I can still ignore the Voice track though, and that is really truly my goal. I hate voice with the fire of a thousand suns.

Also (and this is what pushed me over the edge really) it would help me in my current position tremendously.

I use Mnemosyne too. I kind of default to CueCard for everything though.
    Derick Winkworth
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wanted to stay in the realm of "I am an expert in passing packets" and so I was sort of focusing on routing/switching/MPLS. Realistically, I don't think I can get away from doing the Security track if my goal is to be a CCDE. Besides, what networks are built these days without firewalls, IPSs, etc? None. I can still ignore the Voice track though, and that is really truly my goal. I hate voice with the fire of a thousand suns.

Also (and this is what pushed me over the edge really) it would help me in my current position tremendously.

Is the CCDE why you are doing a third CCIE Derek? It's a big commitment in personal time unless you can study on work's time. Is it really worth it? I recall you posting that some companies regard CCIE's as nothing more than glorified NOC engineers.

Take your point on firewalls though. Its something that occured to me when I did CCNP in 2001. The things are everywhere and blow your theory and operational realities out of the water if you are strictly R&S in terms of field experience and certification.
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, you know... I thought about this. It can't hurt. It is a big commitment in time, but fark it. I've sat for five exams in the last five years. I'm pretty much already in perpetual study mode.

Its different. I want the CCDE, its a goal... but I think I want this first. I need to learn something new. If I stop now or if I go back into ospf/bgp/mpls I might lose my motivation. I've been reading about the same set of protocols now for five years. its time to switch gears.

I actually thought about getting an XML Master's cert... but I think the CCIE Security is probably a better bet.
    Derick Winkworth
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can still ignore the Voice track though, and that is really truly my goal. I hate voice with the fire of a thousand suns.

Hahaha i feel you on this one!

Well since you already have gone through R&S and SP, you would be the best guy to answer my question on this; is it me or does it seem the security track has lesser topics than the routing and switching track? Obviously with the security track it is only security topics, but with routing and switching it seems like there is every in the mix including service provider mpls and bgp topics, as well as virtualization now.

It just seems like there is a huge amount of theories and topics to cover on the R&S more than the security track. Obviously we all know the huge list of books to use just for the R&S track. I dunno it just seems like the security track might cover less material, it seems like an easier track since you focus on one theory "security" and all the topics correlate with each other.

I find it odd that in the topics for the security track you find "general networking" , to me that made absolutely no sense to add that in there. At that level you would assume one would know general networking before tackling the CCIE security lol it almost seems like cisco is compensating for topics, like they just threw that in there for a filler. :add: sorry this is just for the written exam. The Lab is different with lesser topics lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    I need to learn something new. If I stop now or if I go back into ospf/bgp/mpls I might lose my motivation. I've been reading about the same set of protocols now for five years. its time to switch gears.

I agree with you on that one. I passed the SP written and was going to take the lab but I changed my mind. I work for a gold partner as a consultant and they pretty much said it would be a waste. I decided to go the security route since I've been doing a ton of that for clients as well as data center builds with Nexus equipment, ACE appliances and what not. I hear there is a data center track in the works so that is an option as well but I'm not too excited about it. I was at a Nexus 7000 seminar at Cisco the other day and they plan on coming out with a FWSM based on the ASA for the Nexus 7000 platform which sounds pretty interesting. As of now I am going for the CCIE Security. Good luck to you in your pursuit for your third CCIE cert!
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I quite like VoIP personally :D

Best of luck with CCIE #3 !
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271

Easy, EASY!!!!!!!!!!! some of us Love VOIP:). I seem to have this new passion for data center thou.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    good luck with your studies!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□

Try this one instead, Amazon.com: Cisco ASA Configuration (Networking Professional's Library) (9780071622691): Richard Deal: Books. The All in One guide is decent (2nd ed is a big improvement) and does cover more of the ASDM than most others but it lacks depth on the trickier aspects/features imho.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I quite like VoIP personally :D

I think that is why they have chocolate and vanilla ice cream, too! icon_smile.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

tim100 wrote: »
    I agree with you on that one. I passed the SP written and was going to take the lab but I changed my mind. I work for a gold partner as a consultant and they pretty much said it would be a waste. I decided to go the security route since I've been doing a ton of that for clients as well as data center builds with Nexus equipment, ACE appliances and what not. I hear there is a data center track in the works so that is an option as well but I'm not too excited about it. I was at a Nexus 7000 seminar at Cisco the other day and they plan on coming out with a FWSM based on the ASA for the Nexus 7000 platform which sounds pretty interesting. As of now I am going for the CCIE Security. Good luck to you in your pursuit for your third CCIE cert!

Where did you hear this at? I was with cisco in a nexus class and they said they wouldn't be down the FWSM or any service module for the nexus line for some time due to the fact that cisco's "switching counsel" wanted to suck every dollar they could get out of the 65XX line. Currently at this time you sill have to use 6500's in your data center just cause of that fact. I'm not saying your right or wrong, just wanted to know who was putting that out?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In my INE course for the CCDP , they mentioned countless times that the FWSM is being built for the Nexus as well. Not sure where this information comes from, but just letting you know its a very real rumor circulating.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX