here we go.

nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
taking a quick cisco detour this time around and just got approval from work to tackle the linux+/lpic1 exams. these exams have been on my radar for awhile and i'm really looking forward to moving through them.

resources right now are:

- lpi linux certification in a nutshell
- linux commands, editors and shell programming
- the new version of the lpi 101 cbt nuggets (anyone know when the 102 nuggets are going to be released?)

any other suggestions?
WIP: IPS exam

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    yup! thats the one i have listed second though i fudged the name a bit.
  • Linux00800Linux00800 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would add the CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide (Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102) - Sybex.

I passed Linux+ (lx0-101) last week using this book as study along with transcender practice test. Taking the 2nd part this week, I added the LPI Linux Cert. in a nut shell book as another study source.

Good Luck!
    Linux00800 wrote: »
    I would add the CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide (Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102) - Sybex.

I passed Linux+ (lx0-101) last week using this book as study along with transcender practice test. Taking the 2nd part this week, I added the LPI Linux Cert. in a nut shell book as another study source.

Good Luck!

thanks for the suggestion, ill give it a try.
  • qwismqwism Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Reviving topic. This book was mentioned as a suggestion and i was eyeing it but i'm not really familiar with it at all, besides reading the reviews on amazon. Could someone school me on this book?

<<
    Amazon.com: Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, A (2nd Edition) (9780131367364): Mark G. Sobell: Books
    >>

Would there be a major overlap if i got this book with the books i have below?

Should i get this book above to add on to add on to my studying of linux?

Is there an unix based equivalent to this book that i should know about for solaris 10/freebsd?

I just bought these books online yesterday:

LPI Linux in a Nutshell OReilly 2010
    Linux Admin A Beginners Guide 2008
    Hands on guide to RHCSA RHCE Exam - Nightshade's book.

Hoping to study linux, linux, linux and getting into unix also from now until the end of the year...and beyond!

any response/help would be appreciated.

i plan on learning on my basics on centos first. unless i can get a rhel somehow for free. =T
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks for the suggestion, ill give it a try.

That is truly a good book. I am taking those test in the summer (while I finish my Linux class for my degree) and I have been using the Linux Admin guide while building my servers. It is very helpful and practical (the iptables coverage leaves something to be desired though).
    That is truly a good book. I am taking those test in the summer (while I finish my Linux class for my degree) and I have been using the Linux Admin guide while building my servers. It is very helpful and practical (the iptables coverage leaves something to be desired though).

thanks for the heads up, ive gotten derailed slightly with starting this new position next week but once i get into the swing of the new job i plan on focusing on finishing this cert out.