Options

Studying for the 70-680

Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

So I bagged the Network+ today and am now setting my sights a little higher. I wanna do the 70-680 by the self-study method.

Can you critique my range of study materials? Thanks!

1) Windows 7, Configuring by Don Poulton (Que/Pearson; = primary textbook)
2) MS Press book/Training Kit by Ian McLean (= secondary textbook)
3) Professor Messer videos
4) Practice tests here: MCTS Exam 70-680 practice test and sample questions
5) Windows 7 Virtual Labs here: Windows 7 Virtual Labs
6) MeasureUp practice exam

Does anyone recommend any alternative practice exams?

Comments

• Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    Ed1975 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

So I bagged the Network+ today and am now setting my sights a little higher. I wanna do the 70-680 by the self-study method.

Can you critique my range of study materials? Thanks!

1) Windows 7, Configuring by Don Poulton (Que/Pearson; = primary textbook)
    2) MS Press book/Training Kit by Ian McLean (= secondary textbook)
    3) Professor Messer videos
    4) Practice tests here: MCTS Exam 70-680 practice test and sample questions
    5) Windows 7 Virtual Labs here: Windows 7 Virtual Labs
    6) MeasureUp practice exam

Does anyone recommend any alternative practice exams?

I haven't used all your material but I'll tell you that MS Press book should probably be the last thing on the list, lol. There's errors and of course Microsoft takes 6 pages to explain one or two tools in Windows. And the book itself covered less than half of the exam.

I would add some practice exams from Windows 8 new features, Windows 7 tools downloads, Exam 70-642, Exam 70-680 practice tests.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Options
    Hmmm...the MS book doesn't sound very good at all...still I suppose it will still be a required read as alternative sources aren't abundant
  • Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    Ed1975 wrote: »
    Hmmm...the MS book doesn't sound very good at all...still I suppose it will still be a required read as alternative sources aren't abundant

I found a lot of information in the Sybex book that wasn't mentioned in the MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit and vice versa.

I've also heard that the Darril Gibson book is pretty informational as well.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recommend still studying the MS book, and doing all the labs. Just check the errata first so you don't waste a lot of time making a .iso of Windows PE that doesn't work.

Good luck, I am going in the reverse order just passed the MCTS 70-680 and now studying the Network+
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    rudergerruderger Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Windows 7, Configuring is good, I think that helped me a lot. It's big but gives you a much better understanding of the stuff in the training kit book
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Darril Gibson's book is good for the 680 exam, even though it's written for the 685/686 exams. He also has a new book out that covers the CLI commands for the exams.
    Make sure you download the exam objectives and make sure you are comfortable working with them. I labbed going through them and it helps when working through the problems.
  • Options
    thenoble06thenoble06 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey!

I'm just starting the revision for the 70-680 as well and I'm going to be using:

Prof Messer Vids
    Windows 7, Configuring by Don Poulton
    Set up a Virtual Box Lab for 'Labbing'
    Tech Net

and then nearer the time I'll probably sort out some Boson Practice Exams.

Hoping it will be enough :)

Passed some exams. Failed others!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I'll still need to go through the MS book despite its reputation. I'll probably get a copy of Darill Gibson's book too.

@thenoble06: sounds like we're in a similar boat dude ;)
  • Options
    One thing I'm not clear about: where do you get the *official* objectives for this exam? Can someone give me a link? Thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    I've just started my dive into this, but I've been using LabSim online for my Virt Labs, they are great. You get it wrong, it explains what you did wrong, you get it right, it explains it as well.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Options
  • Options
    hcmc_techgirlhcmc_techgirl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi lord nikon.
    i'm looking to re-take the 70-680 and wanted to know if you paid full price for labsim? i have used labsim through school but don't want to pay $495 for it.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Question about 70-680

I have some (yr and a half give or take)experience with windows server DNS tool, installing stuff through IIs, account administration and a few other things.
    The book(MS Press) mentions this exam should be for people with years of experience.
    Is this true?
    meh
  • Options
    The years of experience are just recommendations. Someone just starting out in IT would have much more trouble than you, with some experience and certs.