Connecting Adtran Atlas 550

cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anybody know how to connect an Adtran so that phones in two different rooms can communicate using existing home wiring? I can connect two phone directly to the Adtran using fxs ports, not sure if I need fxo port to connect house wiring.

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What kind of standard do you mean by 'house wiring'?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The typical house is wired as a single loop - either single pair (really old) or 2 pair (more common). *In order to connect the phones with the existing wiring, you would have to cut the loop where it enters the premise and connect the internal side to an FXS port, and the outside to an FXO port (assuming that there is active dial-tone). *If the house was wired with 2 pairs it's possible to connect the internal side to 2 FXS ports and have 2 phones on separate lines.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    cleveoh wrote: »
    Anybody know how to connect an Adtran so that phones in two different rooms can communicate using existing home wiring? I can connect two phone directly to the Adtran using fxs ports, not sure if I need fxo port to connect house wiring.

IF you are talking about using the adtran as its design intended, this would require having a seperate pair going from the adtran to each location. In typical home wiring all phone jacks are parrallel wired meaning any phone that goes "OFF-HOOK" takes control of the line.

The analog phones connect to FXS ports. FXO ports connect to the incoming POTS line(s)
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IF you are talking about using the adtran as its design intended, this would require having a seperate pair going from the adtran to each location. In typical home wiring all phone jacks are parrallel wired meaning any phone that goes "OFF-HOOK" takes control of the line.

The analog phones connect to FXS ports. FXO ports connect to the incoming POTS line(s)

I have no connection to the outside, I was wondering if I can use the Adtran as the CO for home lab use. I have two phone jacks, one bedroom and one another room. I want to connect the two phones and use the Adtran to connect them.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    cleveoh wrote: »
    I have no connection to the outside, I was wondering if I can use the Adtran as the CO for home lab use. I have two phone jacks, one bedroom and one another room. I want to connect the two phones and use the Adtran to connect them.

presuming that your house is wired with cat3 cable the answer is a qualified yes. to have the phones ringable as seperate lines, you would use a line1/line 2 splitter at each jack. The connections from the adtran would be 2-wire connections coming from 2 FXS ports.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice