Bored with 70-680

Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I read as far as the Deployment phase for this exam and suddenly it lost my interest. Maybe it's just that I dont understand it or find the myriad of prep tools confusing. Or maybe the book I'm reading is just not very good. But I'm finding it tedious and difficult. It doesnt capture my interest and attention like the A+ did, for example.

I was never much interested in the deployment phase of 7 anyway, I'm much more interested in supporting an already installed OS. So I've gone ahead and ordered the MS book on 70-685. Call me crazy. Let's see if it can hold my interest better. I do want to get qualified with 7 though.

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Like it or not a huge part of Windows in an enterprise environment is deployment. I'd be worried that you're setting yourself up for a job that will bore you as well.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It happens, you start to feel sluggish on the material you're working on and lose interest. You've got the right idea, move on to something else for a while and see if that can get the wheels turning again. You may want to consider looking at a different technology altogether for a while, to really give you a proper break from Windows 7, but if you feel that changing from deployment to administration will be enough to jar you out of your rut, then that's definitely what you should do.

I hope you can get back to nailing down the 70-680 material and put it behind you when you feel less dragged down by it. Good luck with 70-685. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Like it or not a huge part of Windows in an enterprise environment is deployment. I'd be worried that you're setting yourself up for a job that will bore you as well.

I'm inclined to agree, but also with Slowhand.
    To to be able fully and competently support the OS, you will also need to understand how it was deployed and the images maintained.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The problem I see with you skipping the 680 material is that the 685 material builds on what you have learnt from the 680. Sure you could do it but I think only if you have the relative experience.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you reading the MS press 680 book? It is pretty dry. Have you checked out Darril's book? It is pretty good, it covers the 685/686 content.
  • Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Slowhand, you've convinced me I'm not a total loser :) I'm gonna check out the 70-685 and see if I like that any better.

@Psoasman - I was reading the Pearson book by Don Poulton
  • TimelordTimelord Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sometimes during my studies, I just switch off when reading. There's a massive list of videos on my blog that will help you with this, I will recreate one just for the 70-680 soon MCTS: 70-681 ? Exam Study Video Links | Scriptimus Ex Machina

Hope this helps.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm consistently changing up my reading material.

Today I'll read Darrill Sec + book, tomorrow might be some more vendor specific material.

Either way I think moving to 685 is a great move.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This was partly the reason why I enrolled in WGU....because I too get "bored" "unmotivated" "distracted" with self-study...it was like that when I was going for my MCDBA for SQL Server 2000 way back when.

To bring relevance to your case, OP, if I don't take the 70-680 (or otherwise have an MCITP:EA), I don't graduate college. Some people need that mental gun to the head...something I've been saying for a long time, to motivate them to do what one's always wanted to do.

It took over seven and a half months for me to get rid of whatever certs/GE classes I needed to get to the point of me going for the MCITP:EA. Now that I'm at that point (and after needed sleep...lol) I can now finally start...the 70-680 will be the last one I go for, but I know what I have to do for it.

Just keep trucking man, or take a short break from it to recharge your batteries...then get back on the saddle.
  • TimelordTimelord Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sometimes rather than read the book, it's better to watch the movie. 70-680 videos here - MCTS: 70-680 ? Exam Study Video Links | Scriptimus Ex Machina

Please share this link.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ed1975 wrote: »
    So I read as far as the Deployment phase for this exam and suddenly it lost my interest. Maybe it's just that I dont understand it or find the myriad of prep tools confusing. Or maybe the book I'm reading is just not very good. But I'm finding it tedious and difficult. It doesnt capture my interest and attention like the A+ did, for example.

I was never much interested in the deployment phase of 7 anyway, I'm much more interested in supporting an already installed OS. So I've gone ahead and ordered the MS book on 70-685. Call me crazy. Let's see if it can hold my interest better. I do want to get qualified with 7 though.

I'm in the same boat...

Currently, I’m studying for the Windows 7 exam, but I would like to tackle the Server+ exam at the same time. Sometimes I get bored with all the stuff you have know for the Windows 7 70-680 exam. Do you think it would be ok to get the new Server+ video ( from Train Signal) and study here and there , when I’m not studying for my windows7 exam?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Darril's 685/686 book is awesome in my opinion. A great compliment to the 680 press book.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup: