How to list "unofficial" experience on resume?

lalooshlaloosh Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've worked for various dot-coms and a couple of tech-based companies for the past 10 years (mostly in an editorial capacity) but got laid off in January.

Once I decided to pursue an IT career and made it known to friends and family, everyone started coming out of the woodwork asking for help with their home computers, home-based networks, etc.

Since I don't have any "professional" IT experience (i.e., get paid for it), I figure it can't hurt to list the troubleshooting I've done over the past 4 months on my resume to show that I have some knowledge and can apply it in real-world scenarios.

I'm just not sure how to list it -- any thoughts?

Comments

• jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I started my own company just for this reason. When I talk to potential employers I say that I do consulting/in-house repair on the side between full-time contract positions. I also make it very clear that I have no long term commitments on the side and that should they hire me they have me 100%.
  • lalooshlaloosh Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So did you actually register your business with your county clerk, create a website, advertise, etc.?

Or did you just list it on your resume as "<Insert Name Here> Computer Repair" (or some business name)?
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I just listed "Jtoast's Consulting" on my resume with me as owner. It was more of a way to cover periods of unemployement than anything else.

I eventually ended up printing up some business cards and asked friends and family to pass them on to people who could use my help. This led to me beginning to actually make a little money and get some real experience.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like a great idea to me. It doesn't need to be an official company.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Yes do this -- I filled in my unemployment gap with Consulting and self-employed. Which IS true, yet I took advantage of the downtime when I had no client work to do and studied my arse off.

It looks alot better on a resume to put something down that you are active working instead of the impression of "i sat on the couch watching TV all day" impression.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • ViLeNTViLeNT Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    laloosh wrote: »
    I've worked for various dot-coms and a couple of tech-based companies for the past 10 years (mostly in an editorial capacity) but got laid off in January.

Once I decided to pursue an IT career and made it known to friends and family, everyone started coming out of the woodwork asking for help with their home computers, home-based networks, etc.

Since I don't have any "professional" IT experience (i.e., get paid for it), I figure it can't hurt to list the troubleshooting I've done over the past 4 months on my resume to show that I have some knowledge and can apply it in real-world scenarios.

I'm just not sure how to list it -- any thoughts?

Go along with what everyone is saying here, put yourself down as being self-employed thats great advice so an employer knows you are proactive, then simply list all of the technical expereince and duties you performed for these home desktop users.

What type of job are you looking for in the IT field? It sounds to me like your current experience sets you up to be Support Level I / Helpdesk.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would either list it as "relevant experience" or under an "independent computer consultant" position. Or you could explain it in your cover letter as pro-bono work done for members of your community.

Experience is experience, and you should not leave it out if it could be relevant to the job you're going for.