Arrrrrrgh!!

Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
Just to save anyone the hour of frustration and headbanging that I've just had.......

DO NOT USE UPPER CASE WHEN CONFIGURING ROUTE MAPS/ACCESS LISTS

unless you are sure that you will repeat them when referencing the route map/access list!!!!!

"route-map EIGRP2OSPF PERMIT 10..........."

"redistribute eigrp 100 subnets route-map EIGRP2OSPf"

Spot the difference

imagine if it had been an exam - I'd be toast

from now on it's lowercase only - all the time

I hope the rest of you aren't as stupid as meicon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
:study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]

Comments

• jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    case-sensitive is the devil!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    far too much time playing with unix has taught me better about using mixed case when I dont have a good reason to hehe
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They should (Cisco) hard code a verification for this behavior! I think there's for VRFs if they don't exists, IOS return an error i think
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    now you are crossed over!!!!!!!! to real engineer
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jovan88 wrote: »
    case-sensitive is the devil!

I like to call it case-hostile because there is nothing nice and sensitive about it.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I like to put names of lists and descriptions in uppercase because I found it helps them stand out more. Saying that I've taken my licks regarding the case sensitivity of these things a long time ago so its usually the first thing I check when it doesn't work.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I find that spacing the words out with symbols works for me. Easier to spot an error for me.

Yours - Correct EIGRP2OSPF -- Incorrect EIGRP2OSPf

Mine - Correct EIGRP->OSPF -- Incorrect EIGRP->OSPf
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    As mentioned before, playing with Linux and Solaris has taught me as well to always be sensitive to case-sensitivity.

Although in Windows it doesnt really matter, I try to live by case sensitivity across the board just in case.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think we've all been there, at some point or another. I once wasted an entire overnight shift, sitting on the phone with a SMARTnet tech, trying to figure out why my VPN tunnel wasn't working. After a few hours, I finally spotted the mistake I'd made when typing out my policy maps. I decided that it was going to be a better use of my time, while in the resulting state of mind, to spend the remaining two hours of my shift blowing people away in Team Fortress 2 rather than try to continue working. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I think we've all been there, at some point or another. I once wasted an entire overnight shift, sitting on the phone with a SMARTnet tech, trying to figure out why my VPN tunnel wasn't working. After a few hours, I finally spotted the mistake I'd made when typing out my policy maps. I decided that it was going to be a better use of my time, while in the resulting state of mind, to spend the remaining two hours of my shift blowing people away in Team Fortress 2 rather than try to continue working. icon_lol.gif

Sounds like me at work the past day. I couldnt figure out why my ASA cut through proxy was not redirecting the VPN clients back. Turned out I typed the static route wrong. instead of .224 I was pointing back to .240.. Woops. Wasted day on such a simple issue.

I dont think I'm alone in saying this, we as techies tend to think of the most complex things first, instead of starting at the basics.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Thanks guys, nice to know I'm not the only one!!
    I've lost track of the number of times I've been bleary eyed and pulling my hair out on a fault on the middle of the night; usually to have a well slept colleague instantly notice my typo the next morning. But I've also been the well slept colleague pointing it out to perfectly capable colleagues, lost in the hell that is diving head first into the deep end with out first checkin that there's water in the pool!
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    millworx wrote: »
    I dont think I'm alone in saying this, we as techies tend to think of the most complex things first, instead of starting at the basics.

Yes!

I have a saying now, "The weirder a problem gets, the more likely that you've overlooked something basic."
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    valen wrote: »
    "The weirder a problem gets, the more likely that you've overlooked something basic."

I like that, its going on the whiteboard!
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison