My CISSP Journey

instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
CISSP Journey:
Exam Taken in Omaha, Nebraska: March 27, 2011 @ 9 AM (Sunday)
Results Received from ISC2: April 11, 2011 @ 3 PM (Monday)
Pass or Fail: Passed !!!!!!!!!!
Endorsement Sent in: April 12, 2011 @ 10 AM (Tuesday)
Endorsement Received: by ISC2 April 13, 2011 @ 12:29 PM (Wednesday)
Final Result Received: May 10,2011 @10:34 AM (Tuesday)

Now I'm working at getting the resume and stuff together for the sponsor. I thought ahead, so I contacted the coworker when I started studying, so I don't need to search for a sponsor.

I did not previously post on the forum that I was pursuing this certification, LOL ... for obvious reasons.

What did I use to prepare?

cccure.org (I did the free practice exams, I'm a cheap-skate stuff)
Boson (An audio book)
Shon Harris All-In-One, 5th Edition

How long did I prepare?

On March 9, I decided that I would pursue this cert, and asked the coworker to sponsor me. I had bought the Shon Harris book earlier, but had never opened it, due to studying something else for the job I had just started in mid-February. This might seem like a very short preparation schedule, but I'm not that busy at work (ssshhhhh), so I did hours and hours of studying at the office each day. (More studying than working, if that gives you any idea.)

I began studying, and I got through the entire Shon Harris book. I did the practice exams in the book, as well as on the CD. I also prepared with the cccure.org practice tests (the free ones). I also listened to Boson audio books. I can say that the cccure.org practice questions were some of the best questions to prepare with, and I wanted to get the paid version, but I was just going it cheap, LOL.

I did a ridiculous thing for when I took the exam. I'm sure you might be able to see my location here in my profile, and then look up where I took the exam, based on the date I took my test. .... I would not do that long a drive again, but I had reached a point where I was a week out from the test, and I had finished the book, so I did an "impulse" thing, and scheduled the test at the next available location. (You might note that there was a local test that weekend, but I waited so late to schedule, that I was stuck between Saturday in AZ and Sunday in NE for a test that next weekend, and I felt that I would not be able to do it with my schedule, if I waited another week to take the test.)

Check-in was Crazy, as the people could barely read my driver's license, since I was from out-of-state.

From the moment I opened the test booklet, I felt overwhelmed. I was so nervous that I would mark a correct answer, that would get scored wrong, due to using the bubble-in sheets!

What was so horrible after that, is that I had to drive all the way back to work after the test, and yes, it really did take that many hours to drive back ... wish I had flown. I was drinking cappucino's and five hour energy the entire trip, and still showered/shaved and went into the office, like it was nothing special.

This feels much, much better than the notification that I passed the ITILv3.(April 9)

Now, it is time to tweak the resume this evening (to add Associate of ISC^2 and the ITIL v3 Foundation to it.

Also, it is time to begin strategizing on those CPE's.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd take it a little slower, but I can get so impulsive when I really want something.
Currently Working: CCIE R&S
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man!!! How many years of experience do you have? (If you don't mind me asking :))
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats man!!! How many years of experience do you have? (If you don't mind me asking :))

Including military? 11
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    sabooher wrote: »
    Congrats! I did the same thing....study at work when I had some downtime. I don't feel guilty at all since my employer was requiring me to get certified so I considered it a win-win.

I don't feel guilty because it's a LOT BETTER to work at becoming more qualified (so you can do an even better job), than it would be to entertain yourself with trivial stuff that does not advance your company's mission.

I actually enjoy learning, so it's a win-win for me!
  • worldwide35worldwide35 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I took it on March 26th. Still waiting on a pass or fail notice from ISC2.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Congratulations on passing the CISSP exam! icon_cheers.gif

And thanks very much for the review of your CISSP experience. icon_thumright.gif
    Updated the original post, got my endorser to send information about me.
  • lifecommlifecomm Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I took the exam three weeks ago and passed, too. I must say it was not what I had expected. At least half of the questions were presented in a way I had never thought of or seen before. Very hard and very comprehensive.

My advice: Read and study the Shon Harris book (or the (ISC)2 book). Knowing the material is what allowed me to pass. I am not a day-to-day network administrator or system engineer. But if I was - it wouldn't have giving me the knowledge to pass this baby. It is brutal. Now let me say it again: Knowing the material is what allowed me to pass.

Here is my ideal study plan:

Read your desired book over a long period of time (ideal 6 months - an hour a day). Highlight the book and take notes on index cards to double as flash cards. As you complete each chapter use the questions to help you assimilate the information and evaluate what you know. (there's lots out there - I used the (ISC)2 1500 test bank)

Then choose a period of total devotion just prior to the exam. I think this varies for each person - but maybe a week. Review your flash cards, listen to the Shon Harris audio lessons, get a hold of some **** sheets, take practice exams - whatever helps you - you know you. Finish up reading the CISSP for Dummies as your final review.

Now another word on questions:

The questions are very valuable - not for giving you answers, but for helping you determine what you know. If they use an acronym - do you know it? No, make a flash card. If they use a term - do you know it? Make another flash card!

The bottom line:

Do you understand what they're asking? I think this is key. You can't believe the number of different ways a question can be presented on the exam. I know CPTED - I have it down cold. But on my exam, it was asked in such a way - I don't know if I got it right! But I applied what I knew to the way it was presented and chose the best answer I could.

And this is what I did to more than half the exam. . Now let me say it for the last time: Knowing the material is what allowed me to pass.
  • worldwide35worldwide35 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lifecomm wrote: »
    Congrats! I took the exam three weeks ago and passed, too. I must say it was not what I had expected. At least half of the questions were presented in a way I had never thought of or seen before. Very hard and very comprehensive.

My advice: Read and study the Shon Harris book (or the (ISC)2 book). Knowing the material is what allowed me to pass. I am not a day-to-day network administrator or system engineer. But if I was - it wouldn't have giving me the knowledge to pass this baby. It is brutal. Now let me say it again: Knowing the material is what allowed me to pass.

Here is my ideal study plan:

Read your desired book over a long period of time (ideal 6 months - an hour a day). Highlight the book and take notes on index cards to double as flash cards. As you complete each chapter use the questions to help you assimilate the information and evaluate what you know. (there's lots out there - I used the (ISC)2 1500 test bank)

Then choose a period of total devotion just prior to the exam. I think this varies for each person - but maybe a week. Review your flash cards, listen to the Shon Harris audio lessons, get a hold of some **** sheets, take practice exams - whatever helps you - you know you. Finish up reading the CISSP for Dummies as your final review.

Now another word on questions:

The questions are very valuable - not for giving you answers, but for helping you determine what you know. If they use an acronym - do you know it? No, make a flash card. If they use a term - do you know it? Make another flash card!

The bottom line:

Do you understand what they're asking? I think this is key. You can't believe the number of different ways a question can be presented on the exam. I know CPTED - I have it down cold. But on my exam, it was asked in such a way - I don't know if I got it right! But I applied what I knew to the way it was presented and chose the best answer I could.

And this is what I did to more than half the exam. . Now let me say it for the last time: Knowing the material is what allowed me to pass.

What day did you take the exam? I'm hoping to hear something soon. The wait is killing me.
    What day did you take the exam? I'm hoping to hear something soon. The wait is killing me.

I took the exam on the 26th of March. A buddy of mine took the SSCP exam on the same day (and testing site) and he heard within 10 days. But this is pretty fast from what I hear and not sure if this is a trend or a fluke.

I know what you mean about waiting. My heart sunk every time I saw a CISSP study item laying around the house. I couldn't even pick the dumb book up to hide it. I cannot think of another test I have ever taken that I didn't know if I aced it or not. I'm glad the wait is over! Hang in there, man.
    OK, a little more after re-reading the thread starter:

CISSP Journey:
    Exam Taken: March 26, 2011 @ 9 AM (Saturday)
    Results Received: April 11, 2011 @ 3:29 PM (Monday)
    Pass or Fail: Passed
    Endorsement Sent in: April 13, 2011 @ 5 PM (Wednesday)
    Final Result Received: Pending

One more item:
    Time to take Test: 3.5 hours
    If I ask you where you are in San Antonio, would that be too invasive, considering that I'm in San Antonio also? (And might start stalking you, or something?) LOL. I saw that they had slots there, for the 26th, and I waited a day too long, and all the test slots were taken up (I could only suspect a class took them.)

Also, I co-sign in that the questions asked were different from anything I'd seen before. Like the other poster said .... know the material. Even if the questions look different, if you know the material, you should be just fine. Do not doubt yourself...if you studied it, the answer will be there for you.
    Not at all. I added you as a contact, but I can't figure out how to send a private message. I work on the Hill. The 26th was filled and then one day it was open and I grabbed a spot! Where did they hold the exam for the 27th?
  • mrowtonmrowton Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations instant000, great job!
    OK, a little more:

CISSP Journey:
    Exam Taken: March 26, 2011 @ 9 AM (Saturday)
    Time to take Test: 3.5 hours
    Results Received: April 11, 2011 @ 3:29 PM (Monday)
    Pass or Fail: Passed
    Endorsement Docs Received: April 20, 2011 @ 9:48 (Wednesday)
    Final Result Received: Pending
    Not at all. I added you as a contact, but I can't figure out how to send a private message. I work on the Hill.

I'm across the railroad tracks in Universal City :D
    The 26th was filled and then one day it was open and I grabbed a spot!

Lucky you! it was open one day, and then I checked the next day, and it had been filled up!
    Where did they hold the exam for the 27th?

There were two choices other than San Antonio that weekend within reasonable distance:
    15 hours to Tempe, Arizona on Saturday the 26th, or 15 hours to Omaha, Nebraska on the 27th. I chose Nebraska, as I couldn't make it to the Saturday morning test in time in Arizona, without leaving work early.
    instant000 wrote: »
    I'm across the railroad tracks in Universal City

Oh! Are you now a cost-effective, hard-working contractor these days? I use to work down the street for a little company that did training stuff - now about 8 years ago!
    I chose Nebraska

Wow! That's a long way to travel - I suppose you had 8570 requirements? I'm certainly in that boat and it's nice to get this behind me. I currently work with a lot of guys who haven't gotten their certs done - and I really wonder what will happen at the 8570 six month mark...
    Oh! Are you now a cost-effective, hard-working contractor these days?

Hah, nice laugh. Some of us are complete wastes of our collective hard earned tax dollars.
    Wow! That's a long way to travel - I suppose you had 8570 requirements? I'm certainly in that boat and it's nice to get this behind me.

My current position only requires Security+. I am looking to the future, always striving for the next position, not the current one. With my current position, I had to be compliant prior to the hire date.
    I currently work with a lot of guys who haven't gotten their certs done - and I really wonder what will happen at the 8570 six month mark...

Cool, let me know what happens then. Though I would want to move closer then, I like living within 5 miles of work :D
    Cool, let me know what happens then. Though I would want to move closer then, I like living within 5 miles of work :D

Well there's positions right now. But they're shift, 24/7 and they require a ticket... But come on in! The water's just fine!
    Well there's positions right now. But they're shift, 24/7 and they require a ticket... But come on in! The water's just fine!

Hahaha, that's good to know that you're so inviting. Don't think I could realize any real pay bump until I get the CISSP verified.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • blackholeblackhole Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lifecomm ......

can you please more [FONT=&quot]elaborates[/FONT] what do you mean by
    "Endorsement Docs Received: April 20, 2011 @ 9:48 (Wednesday)"

Endorsement Docs Received: April 20, 2011 @ 9:48 (Wednesday) << ?
    blackhole wrote: »
    can you please more [FONT=&quot]elaborates[/FONT] what do you mean by "Endorsement Docs Received: April 20, 2011 @ 9:48 (Wednesday)"?

Sure. This was regarding the e-mail that I received from (ISC)2. It had this as a subject line:

Your endorsemen​t document​ation has been received

And this as the e-mail contents:

Dear xxxxxx,
    This email confirms that (ISC)² has received your endorsement documentation and placed it in queue to be reviewed. All submissions are reviewed for completeness and for satisfaction of the experience requirements for certification. If additional information is required to complete your endorsement, (ISC)² will contact you at the primary email address located in your candidate profile.
    Please allow (6 weeks) six weeks for your submission to be reviewed and processed.
    Sincerely,(ISC)² Programs Department

I simply included this info as part of my CISSP journey and for people to know what to expect. The last step in the process is where I will hopefully be informed that I have met the requirements for certification. I will post that, too.

HTH
    HTH,

"Endorsement Sent in: April 13, 2011 @ 5 PM (Wednesday)
    Endorsement Docs Received: April 20, 2011 @ 9:48 (Wednesday) "

thanks .... I asked looking at dates, as in my case it just took 24 hrs to get docs received email. looks like you sent them using postal service. that explains 7 days between send and doc received time-line.
    looks like you sent them using postal service. that explains 7 days between send and doc received time-line.

blackhole, that is correct. My endorser mailed the docs in - as that is the only way he's done it and he said it always worked for him. Also, I have plenty of time to get my final cert approval - so the extra few days don't bother me.
    :) what next for you? I am thinking about C|Eh7
    what next for you? I am thinking about C|Eh7

I'm looking at C|EH too - but probably v6. My position doesn't require C|EH, but it would be nice to have.

I'm further looking at CISSP-ISSMP, but have yet to hear feedback on the exam...it sounds like a bear...
    same here !! my job also not need c|eh but doing to get better understanding.

not heard abt CISSP-ISSMP reviews.
    Updated original post, finally confirmed from ISC2! I am CISSP now! Will update resume over lunch!

EDIT: Need to start working on the CPE's next month! Yippee!
    Updated original post, finally confirmed from ISC2! I am CISSP now! Will update resume over lunch!

EDIT: Need to start working on the CPE's next month! Yippee!

Congratulations !! welcome to family icon_cheers.gif
    we need CPE's right away or after 3 years ????