Options

MPLS topology

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm working with a vendor that is helping us convert our p2p circuits to mpls for seven of our offices. Our CE routers are 2911's. They're handing off 10.5m ethernet to us. The vendor is suggesting that we cable it like this ISP MPLS > 2960 > 2911 RoaS, and then connect all other access switches to the 2960. Would it make more sense to do ISP MPLS > 2911 > 2960 > access switches? The 2960 that they want to connect directly to mpls device will have our phones on it and just doesnt feel right to me, Im so used to a security device at the perimeter. Then again this is my first mpls network. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Did you ask what their reasoning is behind the switch being on the edge? I always prefer to have it set up like you suggested also.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    HazlewoodbHazlewoodb Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought you need a device that is capable of IP routing. I'm pretty sure you can't just plug a 2960 directly to the ISP MPLS. You can with a 3750.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Hazlewoodb wrote: »
    I thought you need a device that is capable of IP routing. I'm pretty sure you can't just plug a 2960 directly to the ISP MPLS. You can with a 3750.

If it' an ethernet handoff, you can. You just put the router and the ISP connection in their own vlan, and that will be enough to bring up the routing relationships. You're not routing directly with the 2960.

It's doable both ways. I don't really see any advantage to doing RoAS with the switch taking the ethernet handoff, but I don't know the specifics of what the vendor intends, so I can't judge.