Virtual Study Group Formed for CISSP

GangstaNerdGangstaNerd Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, I've formed the study group already for the CISSP exam, and have gotten to know everyone. I would like to know from people that have already taken the exam, the study material that I've already obtained for the next three months. I'm taking my exam on Sept. 18 in Orlando, Florida.

Study Material Obtained:

Testout Labsim for CISSP
Shon Harris AIO 5th Ed. Videos
Sybex CISSP Book
CISSP for Dummies
CISSP Exam Prep Questions, Answers & Explanations: 800+ CISSP Practice Questions with Detailed Solutions

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have not taken the exam, though I do plan to take it in October. To give a brief summary of my experience, I have been in IT for 11 years doing mainly system admin work (with some network admin thrown in) and I am currently working toward a degree in Information Technology and Security, so I have a lot of classes with material related to CISSP CBK.

I have purchased the OIG and the AIO books, but I have not yet really started digging in on them. I also purchased the Exam Prep 800+ questions book you listed as well as the following:

Amazon.com: CISSP Practice Exams (All-in-One) (9780071701396): Shon Harris: Books

What I have been doing this week has been to get a baseline of what I already know vs. what I don't (strong/.weak areas) by going through the 2 practice question books.

What I have found is that the Exam Prep 800+ question book seems to have easier questions than the Harris practice question book. In fact, after going through both books I was consistently 15% higher on my scores in the Exam prep book. I averaged 80% over the entire contents of the Exam Prep book in fact.

I don't know what to expect on the actual exam, but I tend to err on the side of caution, so I will consider the 65% baseline average that I had using the Harris practice question book as a more viable option.

I just wanted to give my input on the Exam Prep book, which isn't negative, but I think it might give a false sense of security for the real test.

Best of luck to you on the exam!
  • GangstaNerdGangstaNerd Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wanna join our group, we have another member that is testing in October......
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best of luck in your studies!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Okay, I've formed the study group already for the CISSP exam, and have gotten to know everyone. I would like to know from people that have already taken the exam, the study material that I've already obtained for the next three months. I'm taking my exam on Sept. 18 in Orlando, Florida.

Study Material Obtained:

Testout Labsim for CISSP
    Sybex CISSP Book
    CISSP for Dummies
    CISSP Exam Prep Questions, Answers & Explanations: 800+ CISSP Practice Questions with Detailed Solutions

I can only vouch for the Shon Harris book. If I had to do it all over again, I would have made sure to augment with an official (ISC)2 publication also.

Not sure how good those questions are. cccure.org has great questions, just choose the hardest difficulty. Those questions prepared me the best, as they make you think a bit more.

If you know the domains, you will pass the test, just be prepared for the scenario-based questions.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How can I join the group? I only two two books Shon Haris one and the official CBK. I'm planning to take it in October too.
  • natestreetnatestreet Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Saw that you formed a virtual study group. How do you join? Ideally, I'd like to take the exam in July, August sometime. But I am working a schedule that allows me to study around 3-4 hours a day.

Definitely interested in hearing back,
    Nate

Study Material Obtained:

Testout Labsim for CISSP
    Sybex CISSP Book
    CISSP for Dummies
  • GangstaNerdGangstaNerd Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    natestreet wrote: »
    Hi,

Saw that you formed a virtual study group. How do you join? Ideally, I'd like to take the exam in July, August sometime. But I am working a schedule that allows me to study around 3-4 hours a day.

Definitely interested in hearing back,
    Nate
    Just send me your email address.......
    I am interested, but I have to be honest, I don't really plan on delving in too deep until my current semester of classes are over. I'm at work from 8:00am until 5:00pm every day and then I head out to the college from 6:00pm until 10:00pm Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The rest of the week I'm trying to spend time with my wife and kids or doing homework for my classes.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am interested, but I have to be honest, I don't really plan on delving in too deep until my current semester of classes are over. I'm at work from 8:00am until 5:00pm every day and then I head out to the college from 6:00pm until 10:00pm Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The rest of the week I'm trying to spend time with my wife and kids or doing homework for my classes.

I have had that same schedule for a long time now...I feel your pain. I finally get my B.A. in about ten days. Then it's on to start studying for certs. Although, CISSP is a long term goal of mine. I wish you guys the best of luck!
    cgrimaldo wrote: »
    I have had that same schedule for a long time now...I feel your pain. I finally get my B.A. in about ten days. Then it's on to start studying for certs. Although, CISSP is a long term goal of mine. I wish you guys the best of luck!

Congrats! I have to say, I really wish I would have gone to college straight out of high school instead of waiting 10 years.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I have to say, I really wish I would have gone to college straight out of high school instead of waiting 10 years.

I went right after high school and after the first few years, full time school and full-time work (regularly worked 50+ hours a week) did me in. Once I moved to the job I have now, I started taking a few classes at a time at night. It has been a long journey but I'm glad it's finally over.
  • CiscoSystemsCiscoSystems Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

Study Material Obtained:

Testout Labsim for CISSP
    Sybex CISSP Book
    CISSP for Dummies

Hi,
    i would like to join in for CISSP study group..
    Have currently started the study .....
  • kmdickinsonkmdickinson Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have not taken the exam, though I do plan to take it in October. To give a brief summary of my experience, I have been in IT for 11 years doing mainly system admin work (with some network admin thrown in) and I am currently working toward a degree in Information Technology and Security, so I have a lot of classes with material related to CISSP CBK.

I have purchased the OIG and the AIO books, but I have not yet really started digging in on them. I also purchased the Exam Prep 800+ questions book you listed as well as the following:

Amazon.com: CISSP Practice Exams (All-in-One) (9780071701396): Shon Harris: Books

What I have been doing this week has been to get a baseline of what I already know vs. what I don't (strong/.weak areas) by going through the 2 practice question books.

What I have found is that the Exam Prep 800+ question book seems to have easier questions than the Harris practice question book. In fact, after going through both books I was consistently 15% higher on my scores in the Exam prep book. I averaged 80% over the entire contents of the Exam Prep book in fact.

I don't know what to expect on the actual exam, but I tend to err on the side of caution, so I will consider the 65% baseline average that I had using the Harris practice question book as a more viable option.

I just wanted to give my input on the Exam Prep book, which isn't negative, but I think it might give a false sense of security for the real test.

Best of luck to you on the exam!

Forgive me if this is common knowledge but on that Shon Harris CISSP Practice Exam book, there should be info on how to access more test questions online at www.logicalsecurity.com. There's roughly 900 questions on that site. If you can answer the questions correctly (and more importantly know whey the answers are correct and the why the incorrect ones are incorrect) then you should do well!

Good luck.