Micro$$oft Exam Price - Increase

Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok Microsoft have made an announcement that effective from July 1st the Price for the Exam is to increase from 125 to 150 a pop

more details here and on their born to learn website

So? about that price increase - Born to Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn
Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".

Comments

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Guess I will be ordering my exam pack this weekend icon_sad.gif
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are they still offering the 4 and 5 packs where you can get them with a retake for $100 a piece?

On a side note, I find it very amusing that they have been offering all sorts of specials for the past year to entice more people to go for certification and now they are increasing prices. One extreme to another.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was just expressing suprise at how the price has not changed since at least the days of the MCSE 2000.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I guess all those second shot exams came at a price. Oh well I bought my 5 exam pack before the increase. An increase every 10 years is not too bad.

EDIT: Ireland is not included in the new prices, it will still be €140.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Ireland is not included in the new prices, it will still be €140.

Which is still more than $150 I believe.
    To answer my own question...
    since July, we’ve also been offering “certification packs” that offer you a volume discount when you pre-pay for at least two and up to five exams at a time. The discounts are pretty significant—up to 20% for the four- and five-packs, based on our current pricing levels—and we throw in Second Shot as well for an added benefit.
    But now with our new pricing coming into play on July 1st, there’s a “hidden” benefit to these packs: if you purchase one of them and take your first exam by June 30th, you have until December 31, 2011 to take the remaining exams. You can look at that as a way of extending our current pricing (at a 15-20% discount) through the end of the year, or you can look at it as a way to get an even better discount today on what you would otherwise pay if you wait. Either way, it’s unquestionably the best option if you have exams to take in the near future and you want the best pricing.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Cisco is much more expensive.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I guess I'll be ordering my exam pack for finishing my MCSA/MCSE certification sooner than later. At least it's cheaper than cost of CompTIA, Linux, and Cisco exams. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Cisco is much more expensive.

Depends on the exam. The new CCNP exams are more expensive, but the non overlap exams for the CCNP and CCDP are still $150.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on the exam. The new CCNP exams are more expensive, but the non overlap exams for the CCNP and CCDP are still $150.

I believe that Cisco's strategy is that a professional level certification should cost $600 total. The CCNP is three exams, so each exam is $200, but the CCSP/CCNP Security is four exams, so each exam is $150.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    powerfool wrote: »
    I believe that Cisco's strategy is that a professional level certification should cost $600 total. The CCNP is three exams, so each exam is $200, but the CCSP/CCNP Security is four exams, so each exam is $150.

And if you think about it, $600 isn't much. You can't even buy 1 credit at many universities for $600.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    powerfool wrote: »

Sure, that was their intent for the CCNP. They were 150 each when they were in the 4 exam format.

However, that's not an overarching strategy, as there's overlap in certain tracks. The ROUTE and SWITCH exams cross over into the CCDP as well, and ROUTE crosses over into the CCIP, so each Professional level cert isn't going to cost you 600 bucks, but the amount of crossover does encourage you to keep pursuing new certs. Which is basically just another angle for Cisco market penetration (after all, what products are cisco certified people likely to encourage their employers to buy?)
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Absolutely. We (most Euro countries) always got shafted by Microsoft on exams costs. CompTIA too!

Tell me about it. $AU450 to sit a CompTIA exam, $AU180 for MS. Really sucks at the moment cos the $AU is greater than the greenback.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In Saudi Arabia it went from 125$ to 150$ and in Syria it went up from 80$ to 100$. I'm happy that I'm not planning to take any MS exam in the near future and I don't really see the need for such an increase, they're making billions out of their company and education shouldn't be source of money gaining for them.