Options

Quota Limit

sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys

I just had a question I have a Wireless Network at home and I was wondering is there any programs out there that I can install to limit users downloading stuff from the internet from my wireless Network.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    sina2011 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I just had a question I have a Wireless Network at home and I was wondering is there any programs out there that I can install to limit users downloading stuff from the internet from my wireless Network.

Thanks.

Usually there is an option on the wireless device that allows you to setup QoS to prevent / throttle the amount of traffic in or out of the network. I'm not sure if all home wireless routers have it but a majority of the advanced ones do.
  • Options
    hey thanks for quick reply

yeah I was just actully looking at that on a website im trying to set it up its very confusing
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cisco's website has a few "theory" articles on QoS that you might want to read first to obtain a solid understand of how it works and should be setup before attempting to do it. Should make things easier for you in the long run.

Also realize that QoS is usually protocol or src/dest based and if you are trying to limit the downloads from say...the internet...you will actually just be limiting the HTTP procotol and that could have a negative affect if you are visiting a high bandwidth site like youtube.

Just make sure you understand the pros/cons is all I'm saying icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    yeah I noticed it had like stuff asking for Source mac address etc but nothing related to giving the clent a limit like in MB/GB thats something I want to find that has that option.