CIW question

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I just started the CIW course for WGU. Is the CIW Web Foundations Certification 1 exam? or 3?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I just started the CIW course for WGU. Is the CIW Web Foundations Certification 1 exam? or 3?

The 1D0-510 (which you have to take for WGU) is one exam. You can get the same certification taking three exams, but that's just a waste of time and plus you'll only get the voucher for the 510 anyway.

Edit: To mirror what Veritas said, this was probably the only IT Certification I did not "study" for...other than reading that MCMCSE.COM study guide and skimming the books that WGU sent....that was it though.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are a geek who grew up messing with PCs and the Internet than you should be able to pass the test after skimming the books that come with the class.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    when you say "books" do you mean the online materials? or did they actually send a physical book to your house?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They send you three or four books.
    man this school keeps getting better and better....

I got a box of random stuff, coffee mug, binder, etc.. that was a nice surprise..
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    man this school keeps getting better and better....

I got a box of random stuff, coffee mug, binder, etc.. that was a nice surprise..

Yes the swag was nice I do love my liquid motivation cup.....

When (not if...when....) you get 100% SAP after your first term you get a flash drive....folks reported getting 2GB...mine was 4GB.
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Just passed the 1D0-510 today. I did that and Sec+ today, so I did not study for CIW all that much, mainly just used the web page that has been mentioned in other threads, and I passed with a 73 out of 85. Woot!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Yes the swag was nice I do love my liquid motivation cup.....

When (not if...when....) you get 100% SAP after your first term you get a flash drive....folks reported getting 2GB...mine was 4GB.

Cool! I finished my term today, and have 100% SAP. My mentor mentioned that they were sending flash drives to everyone with 100% SAP, but she did not mention the size. 4 GB would be cool.
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

Thxlbx wrote: »
    Just passed the 1D0-510 today. I did that and Sec+ today, so I did not study for CIW all that much, mainly just used the web page that has been mentioned in other threads, and I passed with a 73 out of 85. Woot!

what website?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    what website?

MC MCSE: MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, A+, Network+, CIW, and Linux Certifications

They mainly cover Microsoft stuff, but they have a few CIW study guides. The guide does not seem like much, but it was enough to get me through. I barely touched the books WGU sent, I just did not get to them and real life interrupted my study time the last month, so I was cramming hard at the end on Sec+, and did not devoted much time to this one.
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

thanks for the link
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    thanks for the link

No problem, best of luck!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

boo, mentor said no books for me, all e-books now
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Dude...you are A+, Network+, and Security+ certified.........

You should be asking for the voucher instead of the friggin books!!

Just read the mcmcse.com guide and call it a day.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

what im doing for the 435... set the test and im gonna cram the mcmcse guide and go over the cos

i ripped the newboston vids to mp3s and loaded them so i can listen while i mow the lawn
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    what im doing for the 435... set the test and im gonna cram the mcmcse guide and go over the cos

i ripped the newboston vids to mp3s and loaded them so i can listen while i mow the lawn

DF, That's cool, but I think this thread was about WFV1 (1D0-510 Web Associate), not AKV1.

I believe you can much better deal with Bucky then I can...if you can get past his crap, his Javascript teaching is on point...
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□

I prefer the ebooks for CIW. The books they send out are overkill for the exams.

honestly, I haven't looked at any of it hardly... I don't know much about HTML though... and the first section I looked at was all HTML..

plus I take the MCDST next week, may 7th, so I have been refreshing on that info
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    Took the 1DO-520 yesterday and passed. Pretty easy. I downloaded the PDF and put it on iBooks on iPad and read it there.

How is the JavaScript test?

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • ShawksShawks Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI Michael,
    I am sitting the exam Tuesday. Any tips or advice you can offer? Were there many Dreamweaver, Flash questions? Was there alot of questions on XML, XHTML and different versions of HTML? Thank in you advance!
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    I took the test last week for WGU and it was ridiculously easy. I didn't even study for it.

Most of the material is kind of dated, it seemed to be stuff from around 2004.

Serious waste of time imo
    Thank you for the quick reply. On the WGU forums community, several members have failed this test and stated it was harder than they imagined. Just trying to get a feel for this. I passed the foundations with an 85% previously, just nervous because from what I understand there are alot of Flash,Dreamweaver, and XML, XHTML questions. Cramming tonight..................
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
    Shawks wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick reply. On the WGU forums community, several members have failed this test and stated it was harder than they imagined. Just trying to get a feel for this. I passed the foundations with an 85% previously, just nervous because from what I understand there are alot of Flash,Dreamweaver, and XML, XHTML questions. Cramming tonight..................

I would get uCertify then. uCertify did help me out for the Javascript exam. For CIW exams, uCertify is ok, even though the misspellings are terrible. But I was able to get the win the first time for Javascript. (Of course, I did use other material, such as thenewboston.com videos.) It was only 1D0-510 that studying proved unnecessary (other than HTML brushup.)
    Thank you, I have been using Ucertify. I am glad you thought it was helpful too. Congrats on your degree!
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
  • jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 1D0-510
    Are there any practice exams for this out there? I can't seem to find them if so. I realize the material is fairly easy, but I am one of those people who feel much better if able to take a practice test before going forward with an exam.
    jcole4lsu wrote: »
    Are there any practice exams for this out there? I can't seem to find them if so. I realize the material is fairly easy, but I am one of those people who feel much better if able to take a practice test before going forward with an exam.

With that test...unnecessary. What I would recommend is to go to uCertify and download just the demo. Don't buy the test...just the demo. if you do well in the demo, you'll do well in the exam. That and get the mcmcse.com study guide....

That is one exam that you can't fail if you are truly IT. (Seriously)
  • jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ive got the 520 test in a few hours ... it shouldnt cause many issues ill let ya know what i see
    ive got the 520 test in a few hours ... it shouldnt cause many issues ill let ya know what i see

Good luck!! Sure you will do fine!
    Good luck!! Sure you will do fine!

thanks i got a 66/70

not many spec questions mostly general knowledge questions