Options

RHCSA advice needed pls!!!RHCSA advice needed pls!!!RHCSA advice needed pls!!!

jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys,
I've been a member for some weeks now, but this is my first post on any forum. I pre-ordered Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat(R) Exams: RHCSA™ and RHCE(R) Cert Guide and Lab Manual (Certification Guide) by Damian Tommasino and I also have Michael Jangs rhel 5 book. I was wondering what is the best approach to study for the RHCSA test, as I recently lost my job and I have a lot of time to study.

NOTE: I'm still in college, but I have 9 months of linux and scripting experience due to a lot of college home work/exercises/assignments.

Thanks your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, you should set up a VM with RHEL6 or Scientific Linux 6 or CentOS 6 (as soon as it arrives).

Then you should work through the task list in the official prep guide:
    Red Hat Training Europe | Red Hat Linux Training and Certification

You should do stuff like set up users, change/check file permissions and ACL, install services like HTTP and FTP (including iptables), work with LVM and filesystems (create, grow, check, etc.), install updates, check out disk encryption, automounting and the boot process.

When I was prepering for the exam roughly 4 weeks ago I printed out the prep guide, thought of tasks/questions for each point on the list and made sure that I could answer/fix them. The exam is pretty straight-forward. You will be given clear tasks so don't go into too much detail. You don't have to memorize parameters, the man pages will be available and there should be plenty of time.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    Thanks Lordy......I actually installed CentOS 5 on virtualbox some minutes ago, and I was going thru some cbt videos (the videos are old but useful i guess) and doing labs. I've been hearing all kind of crazy stuff about how tough the exam is, that's why i'm not in a hurry to start another job. I really want these certification.
  • Options
    qwismqwism Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, you should set up a VM with RHEL6 or Scientific Linux 6 or CentOS 6 (as soon as it arrives).

I've never heard of Scientific Linux up until now...is that used in all fields? As for the RHEL 6 are you saying to buy the server/desktop version if you're looking to learn it? And would it be the desktop or the server version if you're looking to use it in a real world setting? Sorry for the newbie question.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Scientific Linux follows the same idea as CentOS: Take the available sources from Red Hat and build a free version of it.

CentOS as well as Scientific Linux should behave like RHEL in 95%+. There is really no need to buy a RHEL licence. I remember having read somewhere that there is a 30-day-trial version of RHEL, that would be perfectly sufficient to check out the minor differences.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    binarypowerbinarypower Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As you can tell I'm a major lurker on these forums and hardly, if ever, post. Consider yourself lucky, lol. I've been lucky to have my job put me through a 2 week redhat training (RH124 and RH135) last week and this week. My exam is tomorrow.

I can tell you that the trainer has stated specifically that the exam will cover exactly what is listed on their website:

Understand and Use Essential Tools
    Access a shell prompt and issue commands with correct syntax
    Use input-output redirection (>, >>, |, 2>, etc.)
    Use grep and regular expressions to analyze text
    Access remote systems using ssh and VNC
    Archive, compress, unpack and uncompress files using tar, star, gzip, and bzip2
    Create and edit text files
    Create, delete, copy and move files and directories
    Create hard and soft links
    List, set and change standard ugo/rwx permissions
    Locate, read and use system documentation including man, info, and files in /usr/share/doc .
    [Note: Red Hat may use applications during the exam that are not included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the purpose of evaluating candidate's abilities to meet this objective.]
    Operate Running Systems
    Boot, reboot, and shut down a system normally
    Boot systems into different runlevels manually
    Use single-user mode to gain access to a system
    Identify CPU/memory intensive processes, adjust process priority with renice, and kill processes
    Locate and interpret system log files
    Access a virtual machine's console
    Start and stop virtual machines
    Start, stop and check the status of network services
    Configure Local Storage
    List, create, delete and set partition type for primary, extended, and logical partitions
    Create and remove physical volumes, assign physical volumes to volume groups, create and delete logical volumes
    Create and configure LUKS-encrypted partitions and logical volumes to prompt for password and mount a decrypted file system at boot
    Configure systems to mount file systems at boot by Universally Unique ID (UUID) or label
    Add new partitions, logical volumes and swap to a system non-destructively
    Create and Configure File Systems
    Create, mount, unmount and use ext2, ext3 and ext4 file systems
    Mount, unmount and use LUKS-encrypted file systems
    Mount and unmount CIFS and NFS network file systems
    Configure systems to mount ext4, LUKS-encrypted and network file systems automatically
    Extend existing unencrypted ext4-formatted logical volumes
    Create and configure set-GID directories for collaboration
    Create and manage Access Control Lists (ACLs)
    Diagnose and correct file permission problems
    Deploy, Configure and Maintain Systems
    Configure networking and hostname resolution statically or dynamically
    Schedule tasks using cron
    Configure systems to boot into a specific runlevel automatically
    Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux automatically using Kickstart
    Configure a physical machine to host virtual guests
    Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems as virtual guests
    Configure systems to launch virtual machines at boot
    Configure network services to start automatically at boot
    Configure a system to run a default configuration HTTP server
    Configure a system to run a default configuration FTP server
    Install and update software packages from Red Hat Network, a remote repository, or from the local filesystem
    Update the kernel package appropriately to ensure a bootable system
    Modify the system bootloader
    Manage Users and Groups
    Create, delete, and modify local user accounts
    Change passwords and adjust password aging for local user accounts
    Create, delete and modify local groups and group memberships
    Configure a system to use an existing LDAP directory service for user and group information
    Manage Security
    Configure firewall settings using system-config-firewall or iptables
    Set enforcing and permissive modes for SELinux
    List and identify SELinux file and process context
    Restore default file contexts
    Use boolean settings to modify system SELinux settings
    Diagnose and address routine SELinux policy violations

It's a 2 and a half hour lab that covers these topics... not all, but a lot of them. It's a real world scenario. I would recommend printing this out or writing it down.. take it with you everywhere. Cross off things that you know really well. Test yourself by installing Fedora (I would do fedora or signing up for the 30 day trial of redhat enterprise) then trying to set up FTP, NFS, HTTP servers.

Go and screw up your fstab and grub and rebooting. Increase/decrease your logical volume managers. Quiz yourself on how many linux commands you can write down in 10 minutes, then going back and write a description on what those commands do.... speaking of that DO EVERYTHING IN COMMAND LINE.

If you have a friend who is linux savvy, ask them to screw up your server and then go and try to fix it. During the training they have these "lab-break-fix" scripts that go and change your network settings, grub.conf files... various things. then you have to go find out if your server is still up and you can ping out and what not.

If SELinux scares you, it shouldn't... at least not for the RHCSA. There are more commands for LVM than you will really need to for the exam (at least I hope).

Tomorrow I'll reply back and tell you how it went. Unfortunately I cannot give you specifics because I think they make you sign a NDA.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks binary power,
    I was actually studying a chapter on file permissions and ACL's, I found a redhat academy pdf online, and its been really helpful. I'm not bad with linux, neither I'm I a guru, I think with some studying I should be fine. How long have you been playing around with Linux, if I may ask? Thanks again.....I wish you good luck, and hopefully you post some good news tomar....lol !!!