Waiting for results...Already thinking about taking it again.

bdoub1eubdoub1eu Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Long time lurker but first time poster. Thanks for all the info on the site - It is much apprecaited.

Took the exam in Raleigh on April 9th and I (like so many other people that take it) had the post exam blues and felt like I either barely passed or barely failed. Leaning towards the barely failed state at this point which already has me thinking about the next go 'round.

Haven't received the results yet but should be getting them in the next week or two. Studied for about 6 months (two hours or more EVERY day even on weekends - which is hard with a wife and a 5 and 2 year old). Felt like I new most of them but the ones where you had to pick the "best" or "most correct" answer were tricky. Used all 6 hours to take it...

Does anyone know how many different exam booklets are out there? Meaning, if I were to take it again, would I have the exact same exam (same questions, maybe just renumbered or in a different order) or is there a pool of say 1000 questions and each exam booklet pulls 250 questions from the pool and person A could have different questions from person B and so forth? Just curious...

Thanks again for all the info that you all have posted...Very informative.

Comments

• rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The only people who know the number of exam booklets/question pool would be ISC(2). I'm pretty sure that you will be given questions from a completely different pool were you to take the exam again.

What materials did you use to prepare for those 6 months? What is your background? I am in the same family boat as you (wife and kids) and I passed the test, so it can be done with the right materials and background.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • lifecommlifecomm Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey man, hang in there. I have heard from at least a dozen guys (me too) that felt they didn't pass the exam and did. A buddy of mine (Masters EE, very smart and studied really hard and young - man that helps) and he wasn't sure when he was done either. I mean, come on, how many people already know all that stuff?! And know it the way (ISC)2 presents it?!

If you spent that much time - you know a lot! You now know the routine - you won't be as nervous. Keep the faith and reschedule if you get bad news. You'll pass - lots of people require two trips - no shame!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The (ISC)2 exam question pools aer very randomized. We've had quite a few members over the years take the CISSP exam multiple times, and I can't remember anyone remarking they that saw some of the same items in different exam booklets. It's certainly possible, but it won't help/hurt you pass an exam if did.

Now that you exam is over, I would just take a break from the CISSP CBK material for now and try to relax until you get an email from the (ISC)2. Keep checking your spam folder too, as emailed results have ended up there to.
  • bdoub1eubdoub1eu Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Used:

All-In-One by Shon Harris (Ed. 5)
    Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK
    Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP - Study Guide
    Eleventh Hour CISSP by Eric Conrad

Been in IT for about 10 years...Been MCSE/MCSA/CCNA at different points in my career. Those exams were a joke compared to the CISSP. Stuidied each domain individually - Read and took notes for about 14 days for each domain. Then had a few weeks to go back and just review my notes (which turned out to be about 250 pages in Word). Last couple of days before the exam, I studied about 9 or 10 hours each day (along with the 2 hrs or more every day for 6 months) so to say I was burnt out by test time is an understatement.

Hoping for good news in the next few weeks...I really, really don't want to study for it again (and neither does my wife). :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You probably did fine. Only thing you can do now is relax (and keep refreshing your email).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    Silly question...

How do I find out what email address they are going my results to? I can't remember if that was something they asked for on the answer sheet or if I had set that up with (ISC)2 at some point...

Thanks in advance!
    Did you keep a copy of your exam regitration form? The email they will use is whatever address you put on there. If not, shoot off an email to registrar@isc2.org identifying yourself and ask.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Well good luck my friend I just received my results yesterday; and for the second time I have failed the exam. I tell you what....this exam is truly frustrating. Not sure if I want to continue studying for this exam. It seems that the CISSP exam purposely mislead you with questions. I took the exam 2 years ago and failed and study little bit off and on since. Started gearing up again in Feb. And I struck out!!! I didn't not find any of the resources valuable:

Shon Harris AIO 5
    CBT Nuggets
    Official Guide CISSP
    cccure.org
    Free Practice.org
    CISSP For Dummies
    Sybex CiSSP

Overall the information I gathered from studying for the exam is valuable. So I have benefited in that perspective. I may just add a SAN certification on the radar. I am not given anymore of my hard earned cash to ISC2.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    What were your three worst domains each time you failed? And what was your test prep for your second try?

Also, what is your Information Security background? Mostly technical or more to the business and managerial side?
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    What were your three worst domains each time you failed? They shifted. The areas I did the weakest before are now my strongest and vice versa.

And what was your test prep for your second try?

All-In-One by Shon Harris (Ed. 5)
    Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK
    Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP - Study Guide
    Eleventh Hour CISSP by Eric Conrad

Also, what is your Information Security background?

Served as a Senior IT consultant for 10 + years. So my experience is all over the board. From DR planning, Firewall implementations, System architecture.

Mostly technical or more to the business and managerial side?

Last job I was an IT Manager. Now back on the technical side.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    Rather than a lack of knowledge, it might be your near-exam preparation, or your actual exam-taking techniques, that is the problem. You might read through the questions too quickly, choose answers too haphazardly, or second-guess yourself and end up changing a lot of answer you had correctly selected. You also need a clear head and to be focused in the exam. Just some thoughts.
  • CynicalSoulCynicalSoul Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to patiently wait for my test results as well. I took the test on April 9th in Louisville, KY. I haven't failed a test yet but like most people that walk out of the there I felt like I failed.

Good luck. I hope you get your results soon, showing you passed.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am trying to patiently wait for my test results as well. I took the test on April 9th in Louisville, KY. I haven't failed a test yet but like most people that walk out of the there I felt like I failed.

Good luck. I hope you get your results soon, showing you passed.

Another Louisvillian! Best of hope for your test scores.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Unbelievable...

Guess I'm one of the many that "know" they failed the exam when leaving and somehow end up passing. I seriously just can't believe it...I'm in a state of shock. Took the exam in Raleigh on April 9th and just got the results...

Seriously, I just can't believe it. I had already started studying again because I would have bet my life that I had not passed...Thanks to everyone for their information on this forum - good bunch of guys and gals with lots of info...

I think I may call them just to make sure they didn't accidentally send me the passing email when I should have received the "not passing" email (since that has happened before)...:)

Anyone know of someone in the Charlotte, NC area that can endorse me? If not, I can have (ISC)2 endorse me but they say they will if I cannot find someone on my own so I thought I would at least ask around first.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    bdoub1eu wrote: »
    Unbelievable...

Guess I'm one of the many that "know" they failed the exam when leaving and somehow end up passing. I seriously just can't believe it...I'm in a state of shock. Took the exam in Raleigh on April 9th and just got the results...

Seriously, I just can't believe it. I had already started studying again because I would have bet my life that I had not passed...Thanks to everyone for their information on this forum - good bunch of guys and gals with lots of info...

I think I may call them just to make sure they didn't accidentally send me the passing email when I should have received the "not passing" email (since that has happened before)...:)

Anyone know of someone in the Charlotte, NC area that can endorse me? If not, I can have (ISC)2 endorse me but they say they will if I cannot find someone on my own so I thought I would at least ask around first.

May be best to go with (ISC)2, as at least it wouldn't be an issue of someone vouching you who knows nothing of your work history. Also, if they validate you, you know it's good. I looked the form over for if they validate, you need to make sure to include contact information for all of those places you worked. Also, I think I ended up adding extra information on my resume, as they require a few specifics you might not normally put on there (full address of jobs, for example, when I traditionally just did either country, or city/state.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For anyone getting ready to approach the (ISC)2 without saying too much you need to go into this test thinking differently. Do not think that this is going to be a fact only, true/false, pick the right answer type of exam. This is an exam where context is very important!

You may be presented with a question with more then one correct answer and you need to pick the "best" answer. To do this you need to understand things like best practices and which answer would be correct based on a best practice versus 1 correct answer.

Comprehension of what is being asked is very important. Read, read, and re-read the question and make sure you understand what is really being asked.

Keep on studying and plugging at it and you will get that pass!

HTH

~CP
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!