Exam Is Booked

Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I booked the exam for 11 April 2011. Anyone have some last minute advice for this exam, this will be my first try? I have heard mixed reviews between 70-291 and 70-293 which is the hardest, so really want to be prepared for this one?
"Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
2013/2014 Certifications
CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

Comments

• DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me I thought 291 was a harder exam but 293 had more sims
  • jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After just writing the 293 exam, I would say 293 is harder. You really have to focus on new areas and explore in every nook and cranny of these areas. You need to be prepared for random scenarios with different MS OS's and how to handle them. I am looking at this for my second try (Windows Server 2003: Planning and Architecture Whitepapers). Again as advised practice labbing the new areas.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • hyperrawr9000hyperrawr9000 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    get to know clustering, ipsec and PKI very well. Lab them, especially PKI. Familiarize yourself with IIS, Authorization manager and remote assistance. Nothing is more annoying than getting a question on something that you didnt even know was on the exam as i learned on my 3 attempts with those things. Another thing that I found difficult was knowing when to use which server 2003 OS, if you are good at memorizing specs then it would help you to know when to use each version of the OS. Thats all i can think of right now.
  • kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found 291 alot easier than 293. 291 is very DNS orientated but 293 is more secuirty orientated.

I passed 291 first time, but took 2 attempts for 293. All I would say is be ready for simulations!!!

Good Luck!
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
  • Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies. for me the 291 was easier than 270 and 290, but i guess that you cant predict the microsoft exams. So hopefully all goes well monday. any links or notes you guys can give me you used for PKI and CAs.
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck on exam!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I think the 291 and 293 are hard in different ways.

The 293 didn't seem to have as many nitty-gritty configuration questions.

Worst part for me was that the questions were sooooooo looooooooooong......so be prepared for that.

Good luck!
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    thanks for all the feed backs. 12 hours to go then it's the moment of truth. keep feeling like i left out a chapter or something. HOPEFULLY i can say tomorrow im moving on to 70-294.
    2013/2014 Certifications

failed the 70-293 exam, by far the hardest exam i've ever taken. 75% was wireless policies and CA and 25% NLB and Clustering. only these 3 topics for 45 questions.
    2013/2014 Certifications

• arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ack! Sorry to hear that man. icon_sad.gif Best of luck on the retake, I'm taking another swing at it on 4/21. Now I get to drive 200 miles round trip thanks to Prometric **** off the local company that ran a testing center. icon_sad.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    yeah i know what you mean, I have to drive 300 miles to a testing center near me. just got back home few hours. long drive just to fail. +- 4hrs a drive for each test. i want to retake it this monday 18/04/2011. hopefully it'll go better.

good luck with your exam!!
    2013/2014 Certifications

• DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah i know what you mean, I have to drive 300 miles to a testing center near me. just got back home few hours. long drive just to fail. +- 4hrs a drive for each test. i want to retake it this monday 18/04/2011. hopefully it'll go better.

good luck with your exam!!
    Is one week gonna give you enough study time? When I fail I usually take longer to jam my brain with more info. Good luck on the next oneicon_study.gif
    Sorry you didn't pass!! icon_sad.gif

I would study for at least 2 weeks before you retake exam to prepare for next attempt. You'll get it next time!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    DOS wrote: »
    Is one week gonna give you enough study time? When I fail I usually take longer to jam my brain with more info. Good luck on the next oneicon_study.gif

I made it the 21-04-2011 next Thursday, because then from the friday and the whole next week it has plenty of holidays in it and the testing centers are closed. so i'll have to make the most of it i guess and hopefully pass it this time.

Anyone who has any study notes or extra resources or sites they used, i'll appreciate it. want to make sure this time.
    2013/2014 Certifications

Good luck tomorrow!
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
    Good luck tomorrow!! icon_thumright.gif

• arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! You're gonna knock it out the park this time. :D
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    thank you, hopefully it will go well, just 1.5hours left before exam, want to get it over with. hopefully after today NLB, clustering and PKI and CA is finished for a while well until later microsoft exams.
    2013/2014 Certifications

How did it go?

How did it go?

failed it again with 698. this one was harder but could figure some questions out, but some are difficult to understand what answer they actually want.
    2013/2014 Certifications

• kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    failed it again with 698.

2 marks. That Major Sucks mate. Gutted for you. Don't give up to your so close that next time you will nail it!

Kamikaze_worm
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    failed it again with 698. this one was harder but could figure some questions out, but some are difficult to understand what answer they actually want.

Ah man, that should be a gimmee. But absolutely, the questions are so verbose and convoluted I feel it's an unfair and unreal way to test one's knowledge.

What areas did the results say you were weak in?
    OMG so so close. I would focus on studying the lowest bar on the score report and do it the next day after the two week period is over. Hardest thing now is to re-read the material over again. Take a few days off and climb back on the horse. I have had my success taking tests on a Monday. I find the Friday tests seem to be much harder, perhaps it is all in my head. My theory is MS knows more people will be writing tests on Friday, as it is an easier day to get off work. Perhaps Jesse Ventura can make this into a show and prove/disprove my theory.

You will get it next time.
    Sorry you didn't pass!! icon_sad.gif

You'll get it next attempt icon_thumright.gif

jfmcaninch wrote: »
    OMG so so close. I would focus on studying the lowest bar on the score report and do it the next day after the two week period is over. Hardest thing now is to re-read the material over again. Take a few days off and climb back on the horse. I have had my success taking tests on a Monday. I find the Friday tests seem to be much harder, perhaps it is all in my head. My theory is MS knows more people will be writing tests on Friday, as it is an easier day to get off work. Perhaps Jesse Ventura can make this into a show and prove/disprove my theory.

You will get it next time.

Yep It actually frustrates me more when failing so close and what keeps me thinking is i mark for review 14 questions and in the end changed 6 of them from my first answer to a another answer, so it either got me closer to 700 or lost points. there were alot of questions on topics not covered in the sybex book, so i'll have to look at different resources for the next exam. yeah I also find test on Mondays better, but unfortunately I was forced on a Thursday as it was Easter weekend and the testing center was closed the Friday and Monday. He should make it into a show and personally I never liked an exam close to the beginning of an weekend.

my weakest ares was network infrastructure and server availability. Now it's for the longest wait until i face the exam again.
    2013/2014 Certifications

I booked my exam again for Monday, hopefully it goes better this time around.
    2013/2014 Certifications

• apoole15apoole15 Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck to you!
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif

I'm also taking the 70-293 within a week or so coming up

• pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    I try and sit my exams in the morning that way I dont have the worries of anything that may have happened during the day to worry about. I also try and book my exam and sit it asap so I dont sit around for a week stressing about it!

Good luck with your exam.
    Well, finally passed the exam today. Now onward to 70-294. Thank you all for the motivation.
    2013/2014 Certifications