Power consumption for Rack

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello,

At home I have 2 cisco 2600 routers and 2 3550 switches running with a server that has 16gb ram and about 6 TB hd space. I was wondering if anyone could show me how much this would consume $$ per hour or maybe based on 24 hours a day operation. Reason I am asking is because I want to know if it's worth it to leave it on all day or all night.

Thanks

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think this is something that only you are going to be able to judge on. Pricing for power various state by state. Also your equipment is going to differentiate in power usage depending on how you use it. What I would do is at the start of your next billing cycle for your power just keep the equipment on 24/7 till the end of the billing period. Then the next billing period shut the equipment off whenever its not being used and then compare the 2 power bills to see usage and cost.
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get a Kill-A-Watt!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    As was said before, we're not sure of how much power costs in your area, but, for example:
    Power consumption: 190 W (maximum), 650 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-12G and 3550-12T); 525W (maximum), 1790 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-24 PWR); 65 W (maximum), 222 B Power consumption: 190 W (maximum), 650 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-12G and 3550-12T); 525W (maximum), 1790 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-24 PWR); 65 W (maximum), 222 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-24); 110 W (maximum), 375 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-4icon_cool.gif; 72 W (maximum), 250 BTUs per hour (Catalyst3550-24-DC); 85 W (maximum), 290 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-24-FX)TUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-24); 110 W (maximum), 375 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-4icon_cool.gif; 72 W (maximum), 250 BTUs per hour (Catalyst3550-24-DC); 85 W (maximum), 290 BTUs per hour (Catalyst 3550-24-FX)

Source: Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Intelligent Ethernet Switches [Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

That is the power consumption of a 3550. You may be able to look up something like this on a vendor's website, for all the equipment that you are using.

Then, based on the consumption, you can just multiply it out by how much your utility costs, and get a good estimate that way. (Utilities like to use different rates during the work day, versus other time [peak vs. off-peak] so take that into consideration when performing your calculations.)

EDIT: I say "estimate" because if the equipment is burdened in some way, that will be an issue.

Also, you will end up needing additional cooling for the equipment, which requires additional $$$.

My opinion: Unless you plan to remote into the equipment, it may be most efficient to turn it off when you're not utilizing it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The most exact answer here is to find out for yourself. Go buy a guage that you can plug into the wall and then plug your equipment into that. It will keep track of how much power is used and also the money spent. Let it run for a couple nights and then go average it out and find the $/hr.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The most exact answer here is to find out for yourself. Go buy a guage that you can plug into the wall and then plug your equipment into that. It will keep track of how much power is used and also the money spent. Let it run for a couple nights and then go average it out and find the $/hr.

yea buy a kill-a-watt
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree