Failed

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, we'll call this one a practice swing (thank goodness for the second shot). Got a 602, and had 7 sims. It was a good mix of questions, and didn't heavily lean to any particular subject (which is a first for me). It's funny though, the main subject I was concerned about I got 100% on, which was "Plan, Implement and Maintain Security Infrastructure".

My studying for this has pretty much been primarily Testout (which is excellent btw). I'm going to use Transcender and get the Syngress book to brush up on the weak areas, and hopefully retake it within 2-3 weeks. My weakest areas were "Plan and Implement Server Roles and Server Security" and "Plan, Implement and Maintain Routing and Remote Access". I'll be getting my lab up and running tomorrow. :)
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is a tough test, but I'm sure you will get it next time.

Just don't give up
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Sorry to hear buddy. I am sure you will pass it soon. Make sure to lab and your material seems to be good sources, used them myself. This test, IMO, it THE BEAST, not 291. Labbing is best and this test covers so many topics that it's hard to know exactly which subject to spend the most time on.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. It is a tough exam. I found that labbing IPSec, clustering, PKI helped a lot.
  • Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    motogpman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear buddy. I am sure you will pass it soon. Make sure to lab and your material seems to be good sources, used them myself. This test, IMO, it THE BEAST, not 291. Labbing is best and this test covers so many topics that it's hard to know exactly which subject to spend the most time on.

cannot agree more with you, don't know where 70-291 got the name "beast", failed 70-293 today, by far the hardest exam ive ever taken. this exam can inherit the name from 291.
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

• kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cannot agree more with you, don't know where 70-291 got the name "beast", failed 70-293 today, by far the hardest exam ive ever taken. this exam can inherit the name from 291.

Yep 100%. Before I took the 291 everyone on forums and collegues said the beast is coming, and don't be worried if you fail ect. Had me really intimidated. I passed it first time and couldnt understand what everyone was going on about in all honesty.

When I took 293 (first exam i failed) well it was another story. Very hard exam 294 is no walk in the park either.

Don't worry too much, You will get it next time.

Kamikaze_worm
    IT Desktop Support Technician
    Comptia Exams passed - A+
    Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
    Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About to hit the road for my retake, I sure hope I pass it this time. I've done really well on practice tests, but I'm trying not to let that get to my head. Work is paying my mileage (and the test should I pass it), and I'll use that money to get the 5 exam pack so I can knock out the MCSE and then upgrade to MCITP:EA. Let's hope my GPS can deal with the road maintenance that's going on near the test center! :)
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anybody want my books? :) Whooped it this time, 833! 7 sims again, pretty much the same test as last time. Good luck to anyone else retaking this thing, and I hope to see y'all in the 294 forum (though not for long I hope)!
  • shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Good job and nice score!

I hope to be there soon myself.
  • Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    Anybody want my books? :) Whooped it this time, 833! 7 sims again, pretty much the same test as last time. Good luck to anyone else retaking this thing, and I hope to see y'all in the 294 forum (though not for long I hope)!

congrats on the pass and good luck with 294. I also failed this one what did you study the second time around going to rewrite it againg in 2/3 weeks?
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

Well, I gave myself nearly 4 months for the retake so I had a lot of time to read up on things. Watched the Testout stuff again (for the parts I was lacking in), and did the same with the Syngress book & an Exam Prep book I got for cheap off Amazon. I've got a used 70-293 lab manual that I found, but I never got around to going through it. Did well enough on Transcender practice tests, so I figured I'd take another swing at it! Good luck on the retake!!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!!

Good luck with 70-294 icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DOSDOS Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    Well, I gave myself nearly 4 months for the retake so I had a lot of time to read up on things. Watched the Testout stuff again (for the parts I was lacking in), and did the same with the Syngress book & an Exam Prep book I got for cheap off Amazon. I've got a used 70-293 lab manual that I found, but I never got around to going through it. Did well enough on Transcender practice tests, so I figured I'd take another swing at it! Good luck on the retake!!
    Some people say to retake it quick because it is still fresh in your mind. I have gone 2 months between exams and I seem to have no problem. The only problem is I should have passed it the first timeicon_lol.gif Congrats