Cannot connect to the companys server via remote desktop

geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
When i use the local computer provided by the company to access our current server which is Windows Server 2003. I get the following message.

- remote access to the server isnt enabled
- the remote computer is turned off
- the remote computer isnt available on network
Currently Studying for Network+, Server+, and Security+

The computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a few services that need to be enabled for this to work on the Remote Desktop. I think they were "Terminal Services" and "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" in services.msc. You are using the Remote Desktop client from Microsoft correct?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    There are a few services that need to be enabled for this to work on the Remote Desktop. I think they were "Terminal Services" and "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" in services.msc. You are using the Remote Desktop client from Microsoft correct?

Im using the utility that came with the computer however at this exact moment im in the server room using the server computer, but id like to solve my current remote access issue so i can access the server computer from our current computers that reside within our domain

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    on 2003, there is a tick box that you check to enable remote access to the server.

without knowing your network setup, there could be ACLs elsewhere you might have to diddle with.

also, as the previous poster said, get terminal services running.

also, your account has to be in the group of allowed remote desktop users for that machine.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    on 2003, there is a tick box that you check to enable remote access to the server.

without knowing your network setup, there could be ACLs elsewhere you might have to diddle with.

also, as the previous poster said, get terminal services running.

also, your account has to be in the group of allowed remote desktop users for that machine.

There is no group of user that can use it through remote desktop, however i have remote desktop enabled on the server pc but it still will not connect via remote desktop

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    there should be a group local to that machine, a "remote desktop users" group, make sure accounts are placed in that group. by default, administrators can RDP to the server.

I need to be clear on if you get prompted to login, and then get a permissions error after attempting to login, or if you cannot get the logon prompt to appear.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    there should be a group local to that machine, a "remote desktop users" group, make sure accounts are placed in that group. by default, administrators can RDP to the server.

I need to be clear on if you get prompted to login, and then get a permissions error after attempting to login, or if you cannot get the logon prompt to appear.

I get the log-on box and what for the remote asisstance

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Windows firewall is off? If you say there is no user in the remote desktop users group, then no one other than admins can rdp to this server.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Background: he was able to use rdp to this server previously. I bet it just needs a reboot?