Two different recruiters - one job

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
I've been contacted by two different recruiters representing two different staffing companies about a NOC position. I believe it's the same job and they're competing against each other. I've already expressed interest in this position to the first recruiter....should I sign up with the other staffing company too?

One other thing. The first recruiter told me the position wouldn't come up till the end of May. I think that *both* of them are speculating on a possible job opening, and it's not even a real offer. What do you do in a situation like this?
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From what I understand, and this is just what i've heard second hand. That if you apply for a job through a recruiter and a second recruiter puts you up for that position as well, rather than dealing with a non-compete issue, the HR or hiring manager of the company who has the opening will toss your info. I can't verify it, but i've heard it from a few recruiters.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Hypntick wrote: »
    ..... i've heard it from a few recruiters.

That's the problem, I don't trust these guys. They get a cut from your pay. They're in it for the money, so of course they would say that.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've had 4 recruiters call me about the same position in the last 2 days. I've told 3 of them that I'm already in talks with one recruiter. It's best not to get your resume tossed for the wrong reasons.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    <<--- Former recruiter.

Yes, HR will do that, depending on the company. Also, another thing they like to do is try not to pay a fee if you had applied there directly and nothing happened, then they get an agency to get you in the door. Their feeling is we already know about this person. HOWEVER, if you never got an interview directly, yet got one through an agency and an offer from the company, then HR is not screening right. Therefore they will try to get a reduction in the fee, etc. I ran into this scenario a lot of times.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Thanks guys. I'll do what earweed said.

I went to the ISPs website and checked their job listings for the city I've been contacted about. Maybe I'm missing something, but it does indeed look like the sharks are speculating, padding up the number of resumes they can send to the ISPs HR department when the job comes up. They have job postings, but none for NOC Techs. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Someone I know told me he got calls from 3 different recruiters for the same job and they all offered 3 different salaries. The first one was $15 an hour less than the others.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Priston wrote: »
    Someone I know told me he got calls from 3 different recruiters for the same job and they all offered 3 different salaries. The first one was $15 an hour less than the others.

This exact same thing has happened to me. I ended up taking the position with the first agent I dealt with (which happened to be the best deal) but a day after I accepted I got 3 more calls from different agents on it ...crazy, love the job thought:D
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have had the same thing happen to me too on a couple of occasions, two HR schmucks from different companies ring up about the same job, one paid $5 an hour more than the other one. Kinda makes me wonder why the hiring company would take out the services of two different recruitment companies.

HR should call themselves Duds-r-us.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • zekebzekeb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the majority of people on this thread. It would definitely be smart to maintain relations with the one-and-only recruiter... no need to cause an internal fight over who profits from you being hired....or worse.
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Essendon wrote: »
    I have had the same thing happen to me too on a couple of occasions, two HR schmucks from different companies ring up about the same job, one paid $5 an hour more than the other one. Kinda makes me wonder why the hiring company would take out the services of two different recruitment companies.

HR should call themselves Duds-r-us.

Actually it's pretty smart on the companies part. They get more applicants that way. And hopefully they get better applicants in the process for what they want to pay.

If two different agencies are calling you about the same job then use that to negotiate a better deal for yourself. Just don't let them put you in for the job before you've made up your mind. That way you aren't taken out by having to many resumes in.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zekeb wrote: »
    I agree with the majority of people on this thread. It would definitely be smart to maintain relations with the one-and-only recruiter... no need to cause an internal fight over who profits from you being hired....or worse.

You activated a thread that's a year and 4 months old! Just trollin', eh?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com