Job Interview

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
So an old coworker just called me up and needs to hire someone. He wants me given our background together.

But I have two huge gaps.
JuneOS - they use their firewalls
BigIP - they want someone to troubleshoot along side the application development team.

I have a week until the interview. My buddy states they understand I am Cisco/Windows guy and they are willing to train. But being nervous as I am I need to study SOMETHING this weekend. Thoughts?
-Daniel

Comments

• tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't be too overly concerned since your buddy wants you and will train but if you want to show you're extra interested search your library or find some white papers on whichever of those technologies you will be doing more with. I would say BigIP is the better place to read up on if that's a primary job role. You point out that they use JuneOS for for firewalls but don't say if you'll be in the firewall day to day. If not than I say just read a little and in the interview you can say "I just starting reading about that, it seems awesome/interesting/something I'd love to do".
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too overly concerned since your buddy wants you and will train but if you want to show you're extra interested search your library or find some white papers on whichever of those technologies you will be doing more with. I would say BigIP is the better place to read up on if that's a primary job role. You point out that they use JuneOS for for firewalls but don't say if you'll be in the firewall day to day. If not than I say just read a little and in the interview you can say "I just starting reading about that, it seems awesome/interesting/something I'd love to do".

Good advice here. They are obviously willing to train you so don't be too worried about it.

What I would concentrate more on is what you have on your resume. If you claim to be a Cisco/Windows guy then make sure you can answer questions on that. I doubt they will be asking you much in the way of stuff they already know you don't have much experience with.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Juniper have some pretty decent "Day One" guides on their site, and a lot of other good training material for free. You could easily get through one in a couple of hours to at least get some feel for JunOs. Although I haven't read it yet, it's sitting on my Kindle just awaiting time, the JunOs Cookbook has very good reviews.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So I have JuneOS as a second language course. But no access to Juniper Routers, so it's not helping me much. I'll just go in there let them know I get by in Cisco and can pick it up quickly.

The BigIP stuff on the other hand they have free virtual editions, online labs and free CBTs I am working through. Hoping to have that done this weekend.
    -Daniel
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    The BigIP stuff on the other hand they have free virtual editions, online labs and free CBTs I am working through. Hoping to have that done this weekend.

Didn't you have to deal with BigIP at the shop you have now? How did that work out for you?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Actually we did. But I really don't feel qualified.. or should say, didn't feel qualified until today. I have made great process in their virtual labs reading documentation and playing through through their CBTs online. I am feeling right at home now with it.

Plus my buddy who already works there spent a couple hours with me talking through problems and theoretical layouts they have done.

I think the hardest part is want to place it at a "layer" all the time. Hard for me to get out of that thinking.
    -Daniel