Passing the Server+ with minimal study?

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
Alright heres what I got:

about 5 years of server hardware support (SAN's, Blades, Rack/Normal servers, backups) Including all the troubleshooting that comes with it. (Failed RAID controllers, rebuilding RAID arrays, Mboard failures, etc)

Supporting Server OS's longer then that, less then 2 years of VMWare hands-on.

What could be my odds of walking in blindly taking the Server+ and passing?

I downloaded a few free practice tests for Server+ from random sites and did very well (Which is why I am considering it). I've also got the Prep Logic Mega Guide and CBT Nuggets for old version of the test (SK0-002). Surely if I go by process of elimination off my experience I should be ok on a CompTIA test right?
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Alright heres what I got:

about 5 years of server hardware support (SAN's, Blades, Rack/Normal servers, backups) Including all the troubleshooting that comes with it. (Failed RAID controllers, rebuilding RAID arrays, Mboard failures, etc)

Supporting Server OS's longer then that, less then 2 years of VMWare hands-on.

What could be my odds of walking in blindly taking the Server+ and passing?

I downloaded a few free practice tests for Server+ from random sites and did very well (Which is why I am considering it). I've also got the Prep Logic Mega Guide and CBT Nuggets for old version of the test (SK0-002). Surely if I go by process of elimination off my experience I should be ok on a CompTIA test right?

Yes.

I had years of exp, and I studied for Server+ in a week.

With experience, yes, it is very doable, as going over the study materials is more of a 'refresher' than anything else.

Keep in mind that the Server+ is basically entry-level, so you will not have much of a challenge.

I would not recommend going to any exam without preparing for it, though ... even the NBA greats still practice free throws, you know?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    instant000 wrote: »
    Yes.

I had years of exp, and I studied for Server+ in a week.

With experience, yes, it is very doable, as going over the study materials is more of a 'refresher' than anything else.

Keep in mind that the Server+ is basically entry-level, so you will not have much of a challenge.

That's good to know.. Might take a shot at this one in the next week or two.
    instant000 wrote: »
    even the NBA greats still practice free throws, you know?

Very good point.
    My Networking blog
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With hardly any experience I passed it. I read a book which took me 3 weeks and studied the questions for 2 days. I passed with a 791.

You should be able to breeze through it.

I will say this however, I have always been an above average test taker.
  • LeamLeam Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    With hardly any experience I passed it. I read a book which took me 3 weeks and studied the questions for 2 days. I passed with a 791.

Nice! Which book? Leam
    Leam wrote: »
    Nice! Which book? Leam

Complete Guide to Servers and Server+
    by Michael (Michael Graves) Graves
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I passed the beta with experience and zero study. I could have done better, but a pass is a pass. If you have that experience, I can say that you will pass with no trouble. Study as a refresher is always good, of course. :)
    Well, finally got the paperwork pushed through. I'll be sitting in for this tomorrow morning.
    My Networking blog
    Passed with flying colors.

I was actually surprised at the array of questions. Pretty touched on a lot of stuff I've worked with over the last 2 years. (Blade Servers, Virtualization, SANs, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, etc) Although for a vendor neutral test their were a handful of basic Microsoft questions.

I wanted to leave comments for some questions but I must have missed that opportunity. (If CompTIA even has that option)
    My Networking blog
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63

I was actually surprised at the array of questions. Pretty touched on a lot of stuff I've worked with over the last 2 years. (Blade Servers, Virtualization, SANs, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, etc) Although for a vendor neutral test their were a handful of basic Microsoft questions.

I wanted to leave comments for some questions but I must have missed that opportunity. (If CompTIA even has that option)

Congratz

I thought it was pretty straight forward. There were questions on their related to Security, Network, and A+.

I used an older book from Amazon, it was around 200 pages.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745

Congrats on passing!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Thanks guys!
    Congratz

I thought it was pretty straight forward. There were questions on their related to Security, Network, and A+.

I used an older book from Amazon, it was around 200 pages.

Yea that's one thing about CompTIA tests, compared to the other vendors their questions are the simplest. No sims, drag & drags.

Even the RIM/BlackBerry exams had drag and drops that needed to placed in the correct order.
    My Networking blog
  • Homer JHomer J Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Complete Guide to Servers and Server+
    by Michael (Michael Graves) Graves

Is this one of the resources you used to pass Server+? Looks like it was published in 2006 so I wasn't sure if it's up to date with the current test.
  • zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Amazon.com: The Concise Server+ Study Guide (SK0-003) eBook: Jonathan Lau: Kindle Store

I used that to study for the exam. It is only about 55 pages including 100 practice questions with explained answers. He essentially took the exam objectives for 2009 and broke each domain down with exactly what you would need to know for the test. Anything that went above and beyond what CompTIA asks he would say you didn't need to know it for the test. I read over it once thoroughly, scanned the sections I felt I needed the most work on once more, took the practice test, then went and passed the exam. Total study time was probably 5-6 hours.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1