Windows 7 Password Recovery

sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey everyone

I just ran into bit of a problem I have a desktop computer at home that I dont use that often it has Windows 7 on it and has a password for the user account I have forgotten my password is there any programs out there that does password recovery for windows logins??

Thanks.

Comments

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If there are any other accounts on the pc that are admin accounts, you can log in with the admin account and reset the password using that account (just go to users, right click the user and change password). Keep in mind that if you do that, you'll lose access to any encrypted files on that account unless you've backed up the keys (which is unlikely since you don't have a password recovery disk).

The only other alternative is to reinstall (assuming you're not on a domain).
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There is no need for a reinstall here. You can use a tool by microsoft called DART. This will allow you to reset the admin password. Also if you can't get that there are many other live cd programs that you can boot to out there. Also there is ophcrack which can crack the sam file and get you your password. There are lots of other tools as well. just google it and i am sure there are other tools out there that can crack the sam file.
  • sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey guys thanks for your replies.

no need for any software I remembered it after thinking for 2 hours.

thanks kriscamaro Im looking into oph crack as we speak im going to try it out later on tonight see how it works and stuff thanks for that I appreciate it.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you can use Bart PE CD or the UBCD to get this done ..

Else as suggested using Opthcrack
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • jogh_cuttsjogh_cutts Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the best way to do that is using Kali Linux. Kali is one of the greatest operating systems we know for penetration testing. However, I had removed the Windows 7 password by using nothing but CMD, but that's kind of tricky and long process. So, the perfect way is to live boot Kali and then follow the following steps:
    Live boot into Kali.
    Open the file explorer and visit /Windows/System32/config/
    Open terminal by Right-Click>Open Terminal Here
    Type following commands one by one:

chntpw -l SAM
    chntpw -u “username” SAM
    Done!
  • johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jogh_cutts wrote: »
    I think the best way to do that is using Kali Linux. Kali is one of the greatest operating systems we know for penetration testing. However, I had removed the Windows 7 password by using nothing but CMD, but that's kind of tricky and long process. So, the perfect way is to live boot Kali and then follow the following steps:
    Live boot into Kali.
    Open the file explorer and visit /Windows/System32/config/
    Open terminal by Right-Click>Open Terminal Here

chntpw -l SAM
    chntpw -u “username” SAM
    Done!

I am sure in the past 7 years the individual has gained access to the machine by now. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    One would hope..or else it is a great paperweight
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • rawdidrawdid Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No, its called Spamming.......
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jogh_cutts wrote: »

chntpw -l SAM
    chntpw -u “username” SAM
    Done!

I typed "Done!" and I got this weird error. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • BarbaradsBarbarads Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using disk is the easiest and quickest way. However, if you are unable to use the disk, then safe mode is one of the best ways to reset the win 7 password without a disk. Follow these steps:
    Step 1. Restart the computer > Press F8 during startup to enter the advanced startup options > Use the ↑ and ↓ keys to select Safe Mode.
    Step 2. Then press “Enter” to confirm and enter the “Command Prompt” window. Now you can change your password as a built-in administrator.
    Step 3. Type the following command: Net User <username> <new password>> The screen displays "Command completed successfully", you can log in to Windows 7 with your new password.